Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I backup my external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crescere

crescere

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

My computer only holds 300 GB, so as I accumulated files I had to move some over to a Seagate 2TB external hard drive. Some files are on both my computer and the external hard drive, but some files are ONLY on the external hard drive. This means that some files are not backed up. What do I do? Is there a way to backup that external hard drive? Carbonite will only back up what is on your computer.

I have a desktop HP Pavillion Slimline s3200n with Vista. I have been told at the HP site that I do not have room or a power source for an additional internal hard drive so I canít add one. I guess I could simply replace my current hard drive with a larger one, but that would involve moving Vista and the many many other programs off site. I would probably mess that up since I do not have much experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bryan Brewster

Bryan Brewster

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

If the files on your external drive don't change often, you can probably back them up to writable CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays. It might take several disks, but they don't take up much space.

Another option is to get a second external drive, and periodically back the one you have now up to the second one.

#3 crescere

crescere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

I thought about getting an additional hard drive to back up the first one, but after the initial back up how do I add only NEW files to the back up hard drive? Won't the back up drive read the files already there and ask if I want to replace them each time? I hope I am explaining mysrlf well.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

If you have a full 2TB drive...you need more storage space or you need to delete files. The fact that these Slimline systems only contain specs for one hard drive...is a key limitation of your options.

The seemingly logical alternative is to replace the small hard drive, after contents to larger drive.

Your manual instructs procedures for such, Upgrading and Serviicing Guide .

Louis

#5 crescere

crescere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

Louis, no my external HD is NOT full. My 300 Gig computer was filling up and I transfered some files over to the 2 TB drive. This means some files ONLY exist on the 2 TB drive so I want to back that drive up. If I buy another 2 TB external drive I would back up all files to it, but what do I do with any new files I put to the first 2 TB drive. I will want to just back those up and not the whole drive again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users