Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home shutsdown everytime Booted

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 tom9293

tom9293

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

I am running an HP Pavilion desktop with Wjndows XP Home OS. Everytime I boot it up it goes to open and then just shuts off and starts to reboot. Its like it is in a boot loop and won't stay on. I had just loaded a new free security program called CA from my ISP provider. I didn't like it so I uninstalled the program. Then the problems started can anyone help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

Can you boot to safe mode? If so, do the following:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 tom9293

tom9293
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

Can't boot to safe mode. I booted to safe mode with command screen and set up for CHKDSK. Now it goes to check disk everytime and never finishes because the computer shuts off and restarts.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

1) Go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic, burn it to cd, boot to it and run it.

2) To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

See if it will boot when you select "Last Known Good Configuration" from the same menu that you selected safe mode from.

CA is Computer Associates. How did you go about uninstalling the program?
Did you do it through add/remove programs in control panel?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 tom9293

tom9293
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Will boot but goes off before anything is put in motion. I uninstalled the CA program in add/remove programs with their uninstall screen.

I will go to the HD site and download their diagnostic and try it. I will try the memtest.org site and test the RAM as well.

Thanks to you both and I will let you know what happens.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 tom9293

tom9293
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

This is what came up after the crash.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP: 0X000000D1 (0xF8000027,0X0000007,0X00000000,0XF73F5688)
*** atapi.sys-address F73F5688 base at F73F0000 Datestamp 4802539d

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

Do you have any reason at all to suspect that there may be an existing malware infection on the system?

Why were you installing the CA security program?

What existing security programs do you currently have installed on the system?
  • firewall
  • antivirus
  • antispyware etc

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 tom9293

tom9293
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

There may be. I have no reason to suspect it but there could be some malware infection. I am using the Windows firewall and no other security. My Norton was about to expire and I saw the free security notice from my ISP provider. So I tried to install it and as I said this is when the trouble started. It seemed to install fine but just had to many settings and way to complicated. Thanks for your help I guess I should run a scan if I can keep it on long enough.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

You wrote earlier: "I booted to safe mode with command screen and set up for CHKDSK. Now it goes to check disk everytime and never finishes because the computer shuts off and restarts."
This is somewhat alarming and possibly indicates a serious hardware problem. When you say that you "set up for chkdsk" what exact command did you enter and attempt to run? What happened? Did it get part way through the chkdsk scan ... how far? ... and then fail before finishing? Did you see any message of any sort on the screen ... what was showing on the screen? .... before the system attempted to re-start?

You wrote: "I will go to the HD site and download their diagnostic and try it."
The logical first step after the above happening (chkdsk failing to run to completion) would be to test the hard drive for problems, as Allan previously suggested. Have you done that yet? If you let us know the brand/manufacturer's name of the hard drive itself, we will be able to point you at the appropriate diagnostic tool to download and use to test the hard drive.

To determine the hard drive manufacturer
... there are two ways you could do this:
  • Open the box and read the label on the hard drive (you may have to remove the hard drive to see the label?).
  • Enter the BIOS Setup Menu, and look at the information presented about the hard drive that is detected (if you have more than one hard drive, make sure it is the one that your Windows system is on): It will probably display the model number ... if not the brand name ... and then we can check that model number to determine the manufacturer.
Please let us know that information.

Do you have more than one hard drive attached to the computer?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 tom9293

tom9293
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

It finally went through the whole (all 5 Stages) chkdsk and nothing came up. I went to the DOS screen and put in chkdsk \r. It would run to stage three or so and then the computer would shut down but it did run all the way through and nothing showed up. The drive is Western Digital and I went to their site and downloaded their diagnostic but I have since gone on vacation and am at the beach in SC and the desktop is at home so I really can't do anything right now anyway. I will be gone all week and my laptop is fine so I will get back on as soon as I can.

Edited by tom9293, 11 September 2011 - 09:53 AM.

#13 tom9293

tom9293
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

I am home now and am running a Western Digital extended C: drive diagnostic. It says it will take several hours to run. The smart checks came up fine. I don't know if it will run long enough to finish the check. It seems to run alright when the HD is running.

Edited by tom9293, 20 September 2011 - 10:15 AM.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Welcome back.

Let us know what happens.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 tom9293

tom9293
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

It did not stay on long enough to run the full several hours required. I have now removed all hardware from the computer and am trying to run just the HD mouse and keyboard. The computer stayed on for some time so I thought I would connect to the internet. It ran a short time and then locked up and I had to manually shut it off. I started it again and it locked up again. It is not shutting down by itself but it is locking up where nothing works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users