Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro (SP2) Cold Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 centerforcc

centerforcc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I have an hp desktop with xp pro (sp2). When I start it up cold in the morning, it gets to the black screen with the xp logo and progress bar, and freezes. The appearance of the screen is also a little faded. When this problem first began, the progress bar would begin moving and then freeze, but now it never even moves. If I shut down the computer (holding power button) and then start again in a couple minutes, I get the black screen with startup options. From there it will start fine whether I choose "start normally" or "start using last known good configuration. If at some point during the day I restart the computer it will restart normally. A couple days ago AVG detected and removed "adamax.BEB." I have run malwarebytes with nothing found. Occasionally at random times I get and error message of "generic host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and has to close," but this has been going on for a long time. Another anecdote is that for about a year the mouse freezes upon startup, a problem I have been fixing by just unplugging and replugging in the mouse after startup, and then the mouse functions.

I am not aware of any new software downloaded recently that I haven't uninstalled. There is no new hardware. I did a system restore as far back in time as I could, with no change. I am considering downloading and running 360Amigo or RegScrubXP, and also doing an XP reinstall to fix errors. Any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

Forget the programs you mentioned...do a clean install and install all critical updates. SP2 does not reflect well over 100 critical updates which are deemed vital to system defense by microsoft.

Before doing a clean install...I would run the appropriate diagnostic on my hard drive...to ensure that the drive is not part of the problem.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Your potential probless...seem to extend beyond what your title suggests, IMO.

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2011 - 02:37 PM.

#3 centerforcc

centerforcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

It is an HP 774(e). I am not a sophisticated computer guy. When you say "clean install" so you mean something other than a repair installation? Shouldn't I try the repair install first? What is the "appropriate diagnostic" on the hard drive?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

One question begets another...how do you propose to do a "repair install" on an HP system?

As far as I know...such is not possible.

And...what makes you think that whatever it is that you propose...will eliminate system problems?

Louis

#5 centerforcc

centerforcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

Well the microsoft website gave directions on doing an XP repair install, and I started the process this morning but got stuck when I didn't know the administrator password. The microsoft website suggested that this might solve the problem.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

According to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=299537 , that system employs recovery disks.

I don't believe that a repair install of Windows is possible with any system employing recovery disks or partitions and a nonstandard boot such as HP systems do.

As for the Microsoft reference...that reference is written for users with MS Genuine XP CDs...not for users relying on recovery mechanisms implemented by system manufacturers.

Do you have a MS Genuine XP install CD?

Louis

#7 centerforcc

centerforcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

yes i have a genuine XP Pro CD.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

It won't hurt to try a repair install...but there are any number of problems which a repair install cannot overcome....partition issues, hardware issues, some file system issues...and malware issues.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

<<...I started the process this morning but got stuck when I didn't know the administrator password.>>

If you were asked for a password...you were not attempting a repair install.

But you will be prompted for your valid Windows license key...in order to install Windows. I suggest that you write it down and have it handy.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users