Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro SP3 - every click takes 15 minutes to process

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 johnon12

johnon12

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Takes 30 minutes to log in.
Anytime I click something it takes 15 minutes, 2 clicks = 30 mins.
Tray bar is missing many items
No Networks
When I run an application I get a runtime error.
Never received an msg that I might have a virus or something like that.

I really can't do much because everything takes so long to do.
I did a cmd dir on a folder, it ran so slow, took like 1+ to display all the files.

What I have done:
Tried running system restore, icon is missing in system tools folder, tried running it through cmd prompt (rstrui.exe) but says it can't find it.
Browsed to rstrui.exe file in windows32/restore/ and found the rstrui.exe file. Took 1 hour to get there!
Did a chckdsk, no errors on hard drive.
Task Manager is showing 99% system availability, no apps running, the number of processes running is less than normal but I think that is because something is preventing apps from starting during the boot up.
Ran CCleaner, it took 15 mins to bring up but then ran fine, found a few normal things.
Malwarebytes will not run, says it is missing some ???.ocr
Microsoft essentials will not run.

Any assistance, thoughts, etc would be greatly appreciated! thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

Apparently...something is seriously wrong...so I would start with running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...and probably follow that up with a clean install of Windows.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

I would also cease using CCleaner, if you are mucking around in the registry.

How long has your system been in this condition?

Louis

System manufacturer and model?

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

How did you run checkdisk? The correct way is to boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r. If you can't get to the recovery console, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

Also, what happens when you boot to safe mode?

#4 johnon12

johnon12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

Laptop is a Lenovo T60p
Problem started yesterday morning.
I don't think I am going to be able to setup any network connections to download but will try. I will try burning to disc on my working computer and see if the disc works on the broken machine.

Safe mode works but is just as slow. Networks don't work there either. Tried all the Safe Modes with similar results.

When I go to Recovery Console i get BSOD.

I ran disc check in regular windows. I am set as an admin.

Allan, I will try what you suggested. Thanks.

Any thoughts that it might be a RAM problem?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

You can't run checkdisk with a recovery switch from within Windows, so what you ran was essentially useless - sorry. If safe mode is also slow the problem is almost certainly hardware related. I'm guessing the hd (you might very well be better off following hamluis' instructions regarding the hd diagnostic utility) but it could indeed be ram or the cpu or something else. After the hd, you can check ram if necessary. To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

Also, what is the blue screen error you get when you try to go to the recovery console?

Edited by Allan, 07 September 2011 - 03:42 PM.

#6 johnon12

johnon12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

Good to know, didn't realize chkdsk only works in recovery mode.

What about the Microsoft scan disk checker that is found in my computer>properties>tools tab? Is that worth running? It was on the link Hamluis sent.

I will look again what the BSOD error is. Be back in 30+ mins...

thanks guys

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

That's not what I mean. If you want checkdisk to scan the system drive and then repair any errors it finds, it needs to run outside the Windows environment. The recovery console is preferred, but the alternate method I mentioned above also works fine.

#8 johnon12

johnon12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

BSOD screen message when going into Recovery console:

0x0000007B (0xF7CAE524, OxC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Still doing reboot and disc scan.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Okay, that's just because you're not loading the sata drivers. No big deal.

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

Since two security programs will not run I think we are dealing with malware or a virus.

You said that the problem started yesterday morning. What happened immediately before the probem started to occur?

You make no mention of antivirus software but said that you have not been alerted to a virus.
What antivirus software are you using?

Also, try uninstalling malwarebytes & then reinstall it.
If it still will not run then, I would highly suspect malware or a virus.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 johnon12

johnon12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

The disk scan processed on the reboot.
After the disk scan it still took 30 mins to get into windows.

Antivirus software I have: Malwarebytes, Microsoft Essentials.

I can try to uninstall and re-install Malwarebytes. It will be tough because things are so slow.

I kind of suspect virus/malware because 2 months ago I got that nasty XP Recovery virus. I was able to get rid of it pretty easily once I figured out the steps.

What is interesting is that when I am in windows the hard drive just barely lights up, when I am rebooting and when the scan disk ran the hard drive was lighting up and running quickly. Also I noticed that if an application works, it runs quickly, getting to the application is 10-15 minutes. For example, I hit the start button, wait 15 mins, hit programs, wait 15 minutes, scroll to the application, wait 15 mins, click the application, wait 15 minutes, but then when it opens it seems to run normally. Malwarebytes and Essentials don't run at all though.

I'll give an update when I get there. Going on two days of fiddling with this!

thanks

#12 johnon12

johnon12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

i received an interesting message.

iexplore.exe application failed
The app failed ot initialize properly (0xc0000005). click to terminate the app.

note that it is iexplore note there is no "r" at the end.

Is that something?

#13 johnon12

johnon12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

i got a BSOD while trying to navigate towards uninstalling malwarebytes.

0x00000a (0x0000000006, 0x000000002, 0x00000001, 0x804e75b5)

Haven't received a BSOD in windows until now, only in the recovery tool

Edited by johnon12, 07 September 2011 - 08:21 PM.

#14 johnon12

johnon12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

After running the chkdsk, I got the BSOD. I rebooted, chkdsk ran again, I happened to be watching when it finished checking. It said the volume was clean. Then all of a sudden the computer went right to log in faster then ever before. Good sign. Then I logged in and windows started loading up. All my system tray and task bar icons showed up, first since this issue. So far everything looks good. I am running malwarebytes. I did receive an error that IE had to close. I didn't even open IE so not sure about that one. I tried opening IE and it did not work. Malware just found nothing. Essentials found Trojan: jS/BlacoleRef.a, and Exploit: JS/Blacole.A Both labeled as severe.

It is midnight and I got to go to bed. I will try again in the morning to make sure everything is working.

In the interim, thanks everyone for helping me on this. Glad to be over it.

Oh, and my wife just happened to mention to me that she unplugged my laptop while she was vacumming. The battery is completely dead so plug has to be used. I wonder if that did something???

What do you guys use for virus software. I have MS Essentials and Malwarebytes. Is that enough or should I be using more or something different?

I'll get back to you tomorrow to let you know if everything is still good.

But thanks!!! I owe you guys all a round of beers!

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

Glad things look good. I use Kaspersky Anti Virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users