Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it possible for me to use a dsl wifi router for a non dsl input

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1

abcd_1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hi all .

I was using a bsnl internet connection and was connecting to my wifi using the router of make "T2-B-Gawv1.4U10Y-BI".
this particular router has dsl(phone line) (RJ11) cable as an input.

Now i have shifted my internet connection to one more service provider, who provides internet by means of another cable.
this cable comes into my home and is connected to a cisco modem (which is not wifi) and the output is taken as RJ45 LAN cable.

Now the requirement is I need to use the WIFI router that I already have, instead of purchasing a new one.

my queries are

1)In the first place, is it possible for me to use a dsl wifi router for a non dsl input ?
2) If yes, how do i need to give the input to the wifi router ? (because it takes RJ11 as input but I only have RJ45 coming out of the other modems)
3) If NO, what is the reason that i cannot use it ?
is it because i dont have an RJ45 to RJ11 converter or is it because a dsl router can only be used with a dsl input and a normal
rj45 lan input can never be given to it.

I hope i have made my question very clear. If not, please feel free to write back to me.

Request all the people who have the knowledge to please shed some light on the subject.

The answers can be as elaborate as possible.

Thank you very much in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

request the technical guys to please help
it has been so long that i am stuck with this problem

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

Unfortunately I do not see a way of connecting the Broadband modem to the DSL modem / router. The reason being is the DSL router WAN port (where you would connect the Cisco modem) is internally wired to the modem part of the DSL modem/router. Its not designed to be used with any other service.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users