Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help using SFC.EXE without XP Installation CD

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hi Everyone,
I am working on a problem with an XP computer in a thread with boopme, and the next step is to run the System File Checker program. The problem is I do not have the installation CD's for this computer. I tried the CD from another computer but that doesn't work, and Restore CD's from other computers won't work also.

In the Bleeping Computer Mini Guide for using the SFC.EXE there is some information on how to work around this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html/page__p__231230__fromsearch__1#entry231230 . I tried to do the suggestions in Post#2, but have found that this computer has 16 i386 Folders. I can guess which one should be used, based on the sizes of all of them, but don't know how to get SFC.EXE to use the correct one. Also, since we know there is a problem with this computer, it is also possible the files in the correct i386 Folder might be corrupt & not work anyway. So is there another way I can work around this problem that anyone might know of? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

What Service Pack of XP are you using?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

You can use ANY XP CD of the same version (Home / Pro) and Service Pack as is already installed. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=3103.0

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Another reference, FWIW: How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Louis

#5 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Thanks guys.

Louis, thank you. That is actually the thread I was referencing in my Original Post.

Dan that has SP3.

Allan I figured a problem based on your comment - the computer is a Home Edition & the CD I have is the Pro version. So I'm guessing that is why it wouldn't work. Do you think I can follow the instructions & just use the i386 file from the CD using that link? If so, when it says "copy to the root" - I'm not sure how to do that. Is it simply Copy & then use My Computer to get to C: & then Paste? Also, would I be able to do the same thing with a Restore CD if I figure out is a Home Edition on that computer? Thanks for any help

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

I would download the full SP3 from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24

Use WinRar - http://www.rarlabs.com to extract it and copy the i386 folder to a CD. Try sfc /scannow and point it to the i386 folder on the CD.

When you download and install WinRAR you will want to Right Click on the downloaded SP3 File above and select "Extract to \WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU"

Edited by cryptodan, 09 September 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#7 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

OK I was able to extract the i386 file from the SP3 & put it on a CD. However sfc.exe still says this is a wrong CD & won't use it. Anything else I can try? Thank you.

#8 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

Another thought I had is: I simply inserted the CD when SFC asked for it, I didn't "point it to the i386 folder on the CD" as cryptodan's post instructed. Was there a different way that I should go about that to make sure it looks for the i386 Folder on that CD, since it isn't the full installation CD the program would be looking for or expecting?

This might be a silly question but I'll try anyway: can I simply replace the old i386 Folder on the hard drive with the new i386 Folder off the SP3 download?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

You should point it towards the CD that contains the extracted SP3.

You can follow this guide: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Please not that when editing the registry please use ERUNT to make a backup of your registry.

#10 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

OK I followed the instructions on that link, and it still keeps asking for the CD & saying the one I have is wrong. I went through each of those steps several times to be sure, and all of the Source Paths are correct. To make sure: after I have copied the i386 Folder to the root- when I go to My Computer and then click Local Drive(C:) it should then be in that list of files & folders correct? Just making sure I have put the Folder in the correct place.

The only other thing I wasn't sure about was in the section labelled "Other Problems with scannow sfc...". The 3rd step says: "#3 If the problem persists and you have the correct path for your I386 folder then the I386 folder is corrupted. To solve this problem copy I386 folder from the CD-ROM to your system restart the system and then
perform sfc /scannow again." I'm not sure if he means to copy the i386 into the C:\Windows\System Folder (or System32?); or was that just a restatement of Step 1 in the "work around" section - just in case someone hadn't done that who was starting with those steps?

Otherwise, is there another step I could possibly do that is not on that list on that link? Thank you for the help.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

this is weird, and I have never encountered this before. can you please provide us with the brand of hard drive you have and also do the following:

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :)

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

#12 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

The HD is IC35L060AW207-0 which I believe is Hitachi (I can open it up tomorrow if you want me to look at it).

Anyway, I followed all of those instructions and the mem test didn't start, Xp started up like normal. Took a look at what was on the CD & it shows only 1.4mb (a Boot Folder & a Readme file). I believe when I did the download the file was bigger? I'll check the other computer tomorrow & make sure something didn't go wrong with the transferring of the mem test to the CD possibly.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

Have you ran the hard drive diagnostics from Hitachi's web site:

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/ - Drive Fitness Test.

#14 Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Well this is certainly getting frustrating :blink: I downloaded the Hard Drive Fitness test & followed all of the instructions. While trying to boot I get the Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart message instead of the bootable floppy booting into the HD diagnostic program. I also tried the F12 boot menu & told it to use the Floppy Drive but that didn't work either. Any ideas? Thanks.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

Can you create a CD instead?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users