Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

O&O Diskimage 6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 artinusa

artinusa

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

Just backing up with O&O DiskImage Pro. I do not trust any windows backup product

I was wondering how i restore from the O&O DiskImage Pro. image and what success or not others have add..is there a way to convert the O&O image to any other..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

Never used O&O, though they've always had a good rep for their defrag utility. Personally I use Acronis True Image, though Macrium reflect is a good free alternative. Here's something I put together - perhaps it will help:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.
I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.
2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.
3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.
4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Documents related to O&O products

Copied from here: O&O DiskImage 5 Professional Edition

Getting started
To create an incremental image, you must have first created a complete image of the respective drive. As a base
image you can use either a "complete" image, using the methods "Used sector imaging", "Forensic imaging" or
"Direct forensic imaging", or by using a previously created incremental image/differential image.
Follow the instructions below:
Please make sure that the drive containing the base image is connected to your computer.
On the O&O DiskImage start page, click Differential/incremental imaging.
Select your base image in the browser window and click Open.
Now you can either select the recommended drive for saving the image, or enter a new target path. For
greater clarity, it's advisable to store the base image and its respective incremental/differential image file on
the same drive. You may, however, use any drive you wish.
5. The image is automatically named after the creation date. You can however enter a name manually.
6. Now click Start to create a differential/incremental image from the base image. The Imaging method of the
original "complete" image, e.g. Used sector imaging, remains the same and cannot be amended.
Note: the option Compare data with checksums is set as default. While creating incremental images, it is suf-
ficient to use the last incremental image as base image. Should Use checksums to administer unchanged data
not be set, you will need the last base image and all the incremental images previously created, since all of them
will be accessed for creating the new image.
Restore drives
If you want to restore one or more drives from an existing image, click Restore drives on the O&O DiskImage start
page. O&O DiskImage, by default, will always go the place where the last image was saved. If the image file pre-
sented is not the one you want, browse through your drives and enter the path to the image file.
Select the image file (*.omg) or (*.vhd) in the dialog window and then click Open.
All drives contained in the image will then be displayed.
Click the drive that you want to restore ("play back").
In the following dialog, select the target drive for restoration by clicking next to it. You can either replace an
existing drive or create a new one: for example, in an empty sector.
5. Click Map if you want to continue with restoration or select additional drives from the image.
6. In the following dialog under Further options, you can specify whether certain functions should be executed
when restoration is completed. These functions are disabled by default.
7. Once you've enabled all the settings, click Start to begin the restoration process.
Important: During restoration, the image overwrites your selected drive with the data of the drive contained
within the image. All data saved on the target drive is thereby lost and replaced by that of the image.
Note: You can learn more about restoration in the chapters Advanced restoration and Settings for restoration
on different hardware. (Page 52 in this pdf document)

O&O DiskImage-16
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users