Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Power Controls On Tower

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

Aside from the power button on the front, my pc tower has a power switch on the back. If the switch is not on, the power button on the front doesn't work. When the pc is shut down, but the back switch is on, a light shows on the front. If the pc is shut down, the front button will not work again until the back switch is turned off for a few seconds and back on.

I'm mainly just curious about the purpose of the switch, but it can also be a pain sometimes. The switch is in a cramped spot to reach presently. I would leave the back switch on, but the fans don't run when the computer is shut down, and I can feel heat. Don't want it overheating and frying something.

So...what is the switch even for, and is there a safe way I can set it up so I can just leave the back switch on and control the power with the front button only?
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

The back switch controls the flow of electricity into your computer. Using the front switch simply turns off the computer, but there is still a current available. Under normal circumstances, there is no reason to use the back switch at all.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 spiritcloud

spiritcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

The problem is, after shutting down, the front button won't work again until the back switch is turned off for a few seconds and back on.
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Sounds like a failing power supply to me. I've had those symptoms a time or two. A new power supply fixed them. It's possible that it's something else, like something in the motherboard, but the power supply seems most likely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users