Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor trouble. It's a Dell.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tulona

Tulona

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:08 AM

I have a similar problem to the following topic posted in your forum:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic201695.html

I have a really old cpu and Windows XP (sp3) OS. I recently got a new monitor (Dell™ 1704FPT Flat Panel Monitor). I had it plugged in properly. The power came and the "windows is starting" screen came but after the it just went black and said "Cannot Display video mode: Analog Input". I don't think there is a problem with power cuz it is starting, right?

I have also tried changing the refresh rate of my computer but when I did the following:Properties>Settings>Advanced>Monitor and went to the "refresh rate" it just said "Use hardware default settings" and there was no other option in the drop down menu.

I have a done some reading and what I'm really asking is, how can I check whether my computer only has analog input or both? Is my "DVI cable(right?)" the problem? How do I check if my DVI cable is only analog, only digital or both? And well, of course how do i fix the problem?

Hope the info I gave was enough, if not just ask. And please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/solve.htm , see Troubleshooting Your Monitor.

I would adjust the screen resolution settings of the video card/chip...to the suggested specs.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

By definition, DVI cables are capable of carrying digital signals. If your video card and display are capable of digital then you should be getting digital - the refresh rate is irrelevant. You said it's an old system. I suggest checking for a bios update from Dell.

#4 Tulona

Tulona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:24 AM

Hi Louis,

I have already read the document you suggested but cudn't figure out much.

Can you tell me how to change the screen resolution settings of the video card or chip?

And also, unlike the document you suggested, I have only one(blue) video cable. Will my problem be solved if I just bought the "Digital (white connector)"?

By definition, DVI cables are capable of carrying digital signals. If your video card and display are capable of digital then you should be getting digital - the refresh rate is irrelevant.

Can you tell me how I can check if my video card and display are capable of digital?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

Again, forget the resolution. Update the bios.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

The "blue video cable" is VGA.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users