Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Sleep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

I've had instances in the past where I'll try and put my computer to sleep and it goes off and immediately comes back on, but now recently whenever I try to go into sleep mode, absolutely nothing happens aside from my monitor blinking "DIGITAL" which is what it does when it's not getting a signal.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

Any recent changes to your machine?

As for your monitor blinking "digital", what did it do before when it was in Sleep mode?

My monitor will do the same when in Sleep mode, monitor displays "No Signal" for a moment and then goes to Sleep.

Hit a key and then I'm back.

When you say nothing happens, what do you mean?

Esp. in light of your monitor giving you the "digital" message.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

Believe it or not, SLEEP and HIBERNATION are two functions which, to this day, have never been perfected by MS. They work perfectly for most folks, but on some systems they cause nothing but problems. Wherever possible I suggest simply setting the HD and Display to power down after a defined period of inactivity. It works virtually 100% of the time and uses zero resources.

#4 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

By "does nothing" I mean it keeps behaving as usual, other than it obviously stops the signal going to the monitor. It just keeps flashing DIGITAL over and over, like it does when my computer is off but monitor is on.

The only change I've done is set up my xbox360 as a windows media extender, but with the xbox powered off i'd see no reason why that would cause a conflict. I hesitate to totally rule that out simply because a week ago my machine would sleep fine and now it won't, but I can't rationalize why that would be the case.

#5 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

Did a restore to last Monday and it appears to be normal. I noticed when I had the choice of what restore point to use, there were some windows updates in there - could one of my culprits be a windows update? I kind of like having it set to automatic update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users