Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen...no image

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 saxdragon

saxdragon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

I was looking at Yahoo IM messages last week. One was most likely a piece of spam/phishing/whatever but the name wasn't in a format I was used to seeing from spammers. I clicked on the name sort of absent-mindedly and the screen went completely black, instantly. No warnings or odd behavior. Then the monitor said "no input signal" and after a few seconds went into sleep mode. My first thought was a virus attack but i've never heard of this happening with a virus. In fact, Yahoo probably had nothing to do with it. But who knows?

I disconnected the internet cable, tried to boot from another disk, checked all the connections between the monitor and the computer, and blew the dust out of the video cards fan. Still just black, with 3 clicks(beeps) coming when i tried ti reboot. Motherboard manual says 3 beeps means video error. So I went to Best Buy and got a new card, pretty confident this would fix it. But no...still just a black screen. I'm pretty sure Windows is still running, but I can't tell for sure. I have to shut down by holding the power button down.

The machine's been acting kind of weird for several weeks. Hanging a lot, so I've had to power down with the power button. I've been expecting something to fail...figuring the hard drive would go soon. I was going to start backing up files in case that happened.

This is a custom-built PC. Here's the profile:

Gigabyte motherboard
2.8 GHz dual-core AMD CPU, 64-bit ready
2 Gb RAM
nVidia GeForce 8500GT 512 Mb DDR
Windows XP, SP 2

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SaxD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

Sounds like a mobo to me.

figuring the hard drive would go soon. I was going to start backing up files in case that happened.

The time to backup is when everything is working fine....like daily.

Windows XP, SP 2

Why haven't you patched your computer to SP3? You do realize you are open to all sorts of vulnerabilities with only SP2?

Edited by .X., 06 September 2011 - 06:57 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

Worth a read, Black screen on boot (no cursor) - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/black-screen-on-boot-no-cursor/892d155a-aadb-4e54-8e59-edf98b0ed020

Anytime a system powers down, I tend to think PSU. Fortunately, I always have a spare to test my theory.

Can you get into the BIOS?

Louis

#4 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

No, i can't do anything with a black screen. I've tried booting from the Windows installation disk and a special boot disk, but since i can't see what's going on, i can't make any changes.

Thanksfor the replies. I'll keep watching the forum for more suggestions (from my son's computer).

#5 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

Did a thread search and found a post about the same problem which suggested taking the card out and putting it back in in a different slot.

It worked!

Thanks again.

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:03 AM

Well I was sorta right(the mobo is bad). I didnt realize it was a PCI-Express and that you had 2 slots. I tend to think XP users have older computers with AGP cards.

Glad you fixed it. :thumbsup:

Edited by .X., 07 September 2011 - 02:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users