Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD and Backups questions/help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tpayne2345

tpayne2345

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

I have an Eagle Tech 1TB external HDD and I use it to store my backups as well as certain documents and movies.. I have a folder dedicated just for those. I also have a weekly backup that windows does and recently it has been giving me the "Last Backup Failed" message which got me looking into the depths of the hard drive and I've noticed that there are backups from a LONG time ago still on there just taking up space.

1. I'm going to delete those backups and create a new one but I want to know if there are any precautions and is there a way that I can make the new weekly backup set replace/delete the old one instead of making another backup set

2. There are 8 folders on my HDD with scrambled nonsense names like "0bb82abc523b825175447de8" and all they have in them is "MRT.exe" which I found out is a malicious software removal tool. I'm pretty sure it would be ok to delete those folders but I just want to make sure.

3. Also recently every time I try to open the folder I have those certain docs and movies in, it takes forever to load. I open it and the green loading bar starts going across and it takes about at least 3 minutes for everything to show up all at once. The file names have changed and now show the file type too as in "The Godfather.avi" when it should be just "The Godfather". Any fix for this?

Any help is appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:55 AM

You can simply format the hard drive to start over with a clean backup drive.

The back up process can be a long procedure if a full backup is taking place, I suggest you allow the back ups to do their normal back ups and every two weeks, simply format the hard drive.

Windows allows you to schedule the back up, decide what you want to back up, but it does not clean the hard drive first.

You could use task manager to schedule a disk clean up on both your drives.

As for deleting MRT folders or files, I suggest you allow windows to decide what should and shouldn't be deleted.

Use disk clean up and choose the options there to clean up old files that are no longer necessary for safe operation and security of your computer.

As far as file extensions such as .avi displaying you can go to control panel, look for folder options, then look for show extensions for known file types, if there is a check mark next to it, remove it. Now windows will no longer show file type extensions such as .avi.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:18 AM

u can set up a backup schedule which can automatically backup the specific files/folders at the pre-set time.
u can also set to automatically delete old backup.
thus u can save much time and space.
by the way, here's a free backup tool that i've been using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users