Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help - issue with print spoolers not working & ALL printers have disappeared from printer list

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

Good evening everyone,

While attempting to log into my internet postage account this afternoon, 9/6, I got an error message it could not initialize the printer...(something or other). NOTE: I just used this program yesterday and printed out some postage with NO problems whatsoever!

When I checked my Printers & Faxes listing in the Control Panel...I find all 4 of them are now gone! I've tried doing a System Restore back to 9/4, to no avail. The printers are still gone. When I click on "Add a Printer"...I get a message that says the printer spoolers are not running.

(The following excerpt was copied directly from Microsoft's own support site and EXACTLY describes my predicament):

•When you click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes to try to view your printers, no printers appear. This issue may occur even if you have a printer installed.
•When you click Add a printer, or when you try to print, you may receive the following error message and cannot add a printer:
Operation could not be completed. Printer spooler service is not running.

Can someone PLEASE help me with resolving this issue? I am NOT computer-saavy by any means and have not the faintest idea of even WHERE to begin!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by spc3rd, 06 September 2011 - 04:54 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

The only two references I find which might fit:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291174

http://msmvps.com/blogs/steveb/archive/2008/06/12/you-cannot-add-a-printer-and-you-receive-printer-spooler-error-messages.aspx

Louis

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

I really appreciate the info you provided Louis!

The 2nd link was actually the one that contained the very information I needed to resolve this most-aggravating and angering problem I had! I actually only needed to complete a few of the steps Steve provided. Specifically, right-clicking on My Computer; clicking on Manage; expanding the Services list; then I located some program that is used with Lexmark Printers and re-enabled it; and lastly re-enabled the print spooler itself. (I think the person who owned this computer previously must have had a Lexmark printer connected to it).

My missing printers then re-appeared in the Printers and Faxes listing, and I was able to re-install the one printer I actually have (a Canon Pixma MP 495) with the CD.

Thanks very much again for the help!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

Glad you were able to resolve it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users