Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grey_ghost

grey_ghost

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

My HD is making bad clicking noises when it hits certain sections on the drive so I want to replace it before it dies. From what I read here trying to just duplicate the drive with the OS can be a pain.
So is this the easiest solution:
Place new drive in system as master, format and boot from WinXP cd
Install XP on new drive
Copy all relevant programs to the new drive.
Remove old drive.

Since defrag moves files around I can't imagine many programs are referencing the addresses of files so any doc's, programs, saved games, etc should all work since they are referencing the file name not location.

Or am I heavily confused? :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Download and use Macrium Reflect to create an image of your drive and then restore it to the new drive
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users