Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparing Dell pc for Win 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuperT

SuperT

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hello.
I have a Dell Dimension E520 that is about 4 years old currently running XP Home.

After looking at the hardware, I'm thinking it's not quite sufficient to properly run Win 7. I've run the MS Upgrade Advisor but had some trouble interpreting the plethora of data I received. I'm not at home to check some of the specifics, but here are some of the key components that I think may determine whether I can upgrade to Win 7.

OS - XP HOme v2002 SP3
Mother board - WG864. Would this have an impact?
CPU - Intel Pentium R D 3.0ghz, 2.99ghz
RAM - 4 gb installed, only 3gb recognized
Video card - 256mb ATI Radeon X1300Pro. I'm thinking this will likely need to be upgraded to at least a 1mb card.
Power supply - 300w. May need to upgrade this depending on the new video card requirements.
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500mb SATA
CD-ROM - LG 24x Super Multi DVD Rewriter

I'm thinking I will need to upgrade the power supply and video card. Other than that, I should be ok.
Your thoughts?
Thanks for reading.

Edited by SuperT, 06 September 2011 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer and welcome to the world of Windows 7.

I went through the upgrade from Windows XP Home edition SP3 to Windows 7 Home edition myself about a year and a half ago.

I have to admit the toughest part is the way you have to re-install all your programs again after the upgrade when the upgrade is from XP to Win 7.

I find it was easier just to start over again, but one thing I did do was save all my installation files I may have downloaded from the web from programs I bought on line to updates I downloaded.

Windows 7 is designed to be upgraded from Windows Vista, so as it turns out, the XP to Windows 7 upgrade ends up being a lot of work.

I am using windows 7 with aero effects with no problems on an Asus A7V8X motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor @ 2000MHz, 3 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 6200, with 256 MB and Windows 7 runs quite well on my system.
I have not noticed any performance hits since the upgrade.

I think you are in the ballpark of being able to run Windows 7 with no issues or stability problems.

So my suggestion is to go for it. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 September 2011 - 08:09 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:27 AM

Also don't forget about the drivers that is needed.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

You need a video card that has drivers for windows 7. The 3GB is most likely because you are running a 32 bit XP. Get the 64bit Windows 7 and use all 4 Gb memory.

Make sure the video card you buy has WIn7 drivers. Since that isn't a gaming machine a basic 256Mb video card should be adequate.

Other possible problems are the sound drivers and ethernet drivers.

Edited by rotor123, 07 September 2011 - 02:08 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users