Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting SATA HDD Using CD-Rom Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperT

SuperT

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

Hello.
I have a Dell Dimension E530. Yesterday my HDD failed to boot. I have since replaced the HDD with a larger capacity model and reinstalled the OS which works fine. However, I'd like to get the data off of the old drive. I took it to Best Buy and they confirmed it is readable.

I had originally intended to make the old HDD the slave but found that my MoBo only has two SATA connections, both in use by the HDD and the CD-ROM.

Could I disconnect the CD-ROM and connect the old drive to that line and, change the boot order in the BIOS and then see my old drive?

Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

Yes, if the CD-ROM and HDD you want to connect are both SATA, their is nothing stopping you from disconnecting the CD and connecting the HDD.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 06 September 2011 - 12:24 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 SuperT

SuperT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

Take a look at the attached file please. The two SATA connections in the red rectangle are the ones currently in use.
It looks like there might be two other SATA connections to the left of that in other red rectangle. Or would those typically be for some other use?

Attached Files

#4 SuperT

SuperT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

I confirmed those are SATA connections. I was able to connect the old drive and currently copying all the files I need.

Only thing I needed to do was go in the BIOS and enable that SATA connection. Having read other posts, I learned there is no master/slave switch on SATA drives. Rather the BIOS boots directly from the first SATA drive connected and considers that the C: drive.

Hope this helps someone else.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

<<Rather the BIOS boots directly from the first SATA drive connected and considers that the C: drive.>>

Not necessarily true :). Whichever drive Windows is installed on...is viewed as the C: drive by Windows, no matter where it is connected (with SATA slots).

Any one of the SATA slots...may reflect the boot drive. The boot order is determined by other BIOS settings for such. Since BIOSes vary, I can't be any more specific than that.

Louis

#6 SuperT

SuperT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

hamluis
Not necessarily true . Whichever drive Windows is installed on...is viewed as the C: drive by Windows, no matter where it is connected (with SATA slots).
Any one of the SATA slots...may reflect the boot drive. The boot order is determined by other BIOS settings for such. Since BIOSes vary, I can't be any more specific than that.

To clarify based on what I learned, at least on my BIOS. First, I had to turn on the additional SATA connection in my BIOS just to see the drive. Since I have XP SP3 installed on both drives, for my BIOS, it depends on which SATA position each drive is connected to. On my MoBo, they are labeled SATA 0, SATA 1, etc. and it tries to boot them in order. So the first HD drive it boots becomes the C: drive. At least in my case. And I have the capability to boot off of either drive just by taking either of the drives out of the "boot lineup" so to speak.

But that may not be true for others. Like hamluis said, BIOS can and do vary!!

Edited by SuperT, 07 September 2011 - 11:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users