Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home SP3 Will Not Load

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SuperT

SuperT

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hello.
I have a Dell Dimension E530 running XP Home SP3. It's about 4 years old. Normally, it is left on most of the time. Since we were away over the weekend, I turned it off. I had recently done some cleanup (deleting tmp files, removing old programs, and defrag). I was careul not to delete any OS related programs...only those I knew were 3rd party that I installed. The drive (160gb) is at about 80-85% capacity (hence the cleanup attempt).

When we got back and turned it on, the BIOS booted but the OS wouldn't start. I could see it going through the memory checks and all but when it came time for XP to start, all I get is a black screen.

Could I boot from the install CD and see the HD? Are there any utilities I could get to help me through this?

I'm not sure what other information you need so let me know.

Thanks for reading.
Thom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

When the system first boots tap the F8 function key several times and you will get to the advanced boot options screen. From there, can you get to safe mode?

#3 SuperT

SuperT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Havne't tried that. Will do so tonight and let you know. Thanks.

#4 SuperT

SuperT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

Tried that and it hung on the driver AVGIDSxx.sys. I gave up because I had already installed a larger drive. I simply connected the old drive and currently copying all the files over.

Thanks for the help.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Well, let us know if you want to fix the first installation (you'll have to do a repair install)

#6 SuperT

SuperT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

Allan,
You're clairvoyant. I do want to repair it. Before I do that though...

I've been starting in Safe Mode and it seems to be hanging on different AVG drivers. First it was AVGIDSxx.sys. Since I have the same program installed on the new drive, I renamed that file with the prefix OLD-. I then copied 4 driver files from the good installation on the other drive. It didn't hang on that driver. But it did hang up on the driver avgrkx86.sys.

Is there anyway to go into the old drive and take AVG out of the boot process to see if that lets me in?

Edited by SuperT, 06 September 2011 - 09:24 PM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

Just uninstall AVG (be sure to replace it with a different anti virus app though, don't run without one). And here's the process for a repair install:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#8 SuperT

SuperT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Allan.
I'm a bit confused how to uninstall AVG if XP won't boot, but perhaps you meant after the repair. I'll follow that link and give it try.
Again, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users