Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Dell Operating System

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SuperT

SuperT

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hello.
I have a Dell Dimension E530 that came with XP Home installed. They provided me with re-install and drivers disks.
I don't believe it's compatible with Windows 7 (although I could be wrong even though I checked with the Win7 upgrade utility) and would therefore like to upgrade to XP Pro. I just replaced the harddrive and re-installed XP Home, but I want the fuller features of XP Pro with out all the other Dell software that is usually "included".
I would think that installing XP Pro and grabbing the needed drivers off my disk or the 'net should work sufficiently. But I wonder whether Dell's hardware configurations are "proprietary" to an OS that has been configured by Dell.
Am I way out in left field here?!?
Any guidance is appreciated.
Thank you.
Thom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

But I wonder whether Dell's hardware configurations are "proprietary" to an OS that has been configured by Dell.

Nope. You can proceed as intended.

The latest drivers can easily be sourced from the Dell Support site.

As far as Win XP drivers are concerned, the only variation would be with the 32bit and 64bit releases.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 SuperT

SuperT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

That Dell Dimension E530 should take Windows 7 if you meet the system requirements. Why would anyone buy a version of XP if they didn't have to, it has already left mainstream support and will leave extended support entirely in about three years. Note that if you do upgrade to Windows 7, because XP is so ancient, you cannot do an in-place upgrade and must do a clean install.

Edited by DJBPace07, 06 September 2011 - 04:41 PM.

3939.png

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Could any of you find the desktop itself on the Dell site? Strangely i couldn't find it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

It does exist, but for some reason it isn't listed as a product. Dell's site does have a community feature where customers do talk about it.

3939.png

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

AFAIK the only real difference betweeh Home and Pro is the way it handles networking.
Might be wrong though.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users