Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Random Freezes, Safe Mode Working Correctly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bwinarch

bwinarch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

I'm trying to diagnose a problem my mother is experiencing with her new laptop from 400 miles away. Unfortunately, she is PC-challenged, so the information I have is minimal at best.

Within the past week, her Toshiba laptop (AMD Turion dual core chip running Win7 x32) began freezing. She noticed that her mouse was not responding. Thinking that it was simply the mouse, she switched to a new mouse and ultimately the touchpad. The problem is NOT with the mouse. She is experiencing complete freezes that require a hard power-off. The freezes occur anywhere from 5-15 minutes after boot. During attempted diagnostics, the system was so unresponsive that we tried booting into safe mode. Safe mode runs for hours without incident (causing me, in a very unscientific fashion, to rule out heat as the root cause). While in safe mode, she performed a complete system scan with an updated version of Malwarebytes. The scan found no issues. We managed to run a boot scan using Avast Free antivirus. This scan did locate virus(es?) almost immediately, leading me to believe that the infected files were boot files, services, and/or drivers. I had her move everything to quarantine. This did not alleviate the system freezes. I had her run the SFC overnight. I have yet to receive a report of the results.

I have read in various posts online that power management features have been known to cause system instability in some machines, but that disabling this feature results in loss of audio(?). I've also read that issues with some CPU drivers (specifically for dual core processors) have been theorized to cause this problem, which is used to explain the system's relative stability in safe mode. But I digress...

Anyone have any suggestions? She reports that there were no new (intentional) downloads, though Java, Windows, Avast, etc are set to update automatically. She has not installed any new software, nor has she visited any new websites. The problem seems to have emerged over the course of the past week and does not impact safe mode, leading me to the conclusion that the hardware itself is stable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hello, I moved this from Win7 to the Am I Infrcted forum for now.

Lets try
Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.5.9.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to these[/color] instructions. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and randomly rename it before downloading and saving to the computer.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, [color="#8B0000"]Post new scan log
and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users