Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD DVD Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:56 AM

I always thought that the best way to secure files is to put it on a CD or DVD because it would be there safely for a lifetime, keeping in mind that you should protect it from scratches or any form of physical damage to the CD. Just this morning I came across with an article saying that older CDs or DVDs will eventually have reading problems until the files are completely unrecoverable.

It did not totally changed my way of thinking but somehow put a doubt on it. If this is true then we should recover the files on those media (CD/DVD) and transfer it into a new one. The same article also gave an overview on a couple of software to aid in recovery.

Here's the link to that article:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/20/cd-dvd-data-recovery-software-overview/

I hope that you would find this helpful.

:wizardball:

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:45 AM

Real-life (not accelerated aging) tests have revealed that some CD-Rs degrade quickly even if stored normally. The quality of a CD-R disc has a large and direct influence on longevity—low quality discs should not be expected to last very long. According to research conducted by J. Perdereau, CD-Rs are expected to have an average life expectancy of 10 years.Branding isn't a reliable guide to quality, because many brands (major as well as no name) do not manufacture their own discs. Instead they are sourced from different manufacturers of varying quality. For best results, the actual manufacturer and material components of each batch of discs should be verified.
An example of a CD-R burned in 2000 showing dye degradation in 2008. Part of the data on it has been lost.

Burned CD-Rs suffer from material degradation, just like most writable media. CD-R media have an internal layer of dye used to store data. In a CD-RW disc, the recording layer is made of an alloy of silver and other metals—indium, antimony, and tellurium. In CD-R media, the dye itself can degrade, causing data to become unreadable.

As well as degradation of the dye, failure of a CD-R can be due to the reflective surface. While silver is less expensive and more widely used, it is more prone to oxidation resulting in a non-reflecting surface. Gold on the other hand, although more expensive and no longer widely used, is an inactive material, so gold-based CD-Rs do not suffer from this problem. - Wiki

So as long you use "good quality" media, you're set for around 10 years. :)
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for adding that detail! :thumbup2:
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Lets not forget that ReWritable media is not for long term storage. Only Write Once is. And even then it depends on the dye used.

Flash drives are not permanent either. I've had to repair some for myself and others where during normal usage the USB plug broke its connection to the circuit board inside.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users