Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not booting properly after power outage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gm380

gm380

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

I have an Acer Aspire 6920 laptop running Windows Vista 64 bit.

This laptop is about 4 years old and has for the majority of the time had issues with a broken dc jack and the battery being completely shot, and I've been unable to fix these due to financial problems.
A bit ago, there was a power outage and the laptop was running, and it had died since the battery is useless. When I went to turn it back on, the screen did not light up (no backlight, no image, no nothing), the computer seemed unresponsive in the way that pressing buttons such as num lock, caps lock, etc. did not turn on any of the usual indicator lights. I hear no fans spinning and the HDD light does not light up either. My usb mouse and keyboard don't seem to work when plugged into the laptop either, but work fine on the laptop I am using now.

I've already tried several things to fix it, starting with just powering it on/off, taking out the battery for a while, removing all power supply including the battery and holding the power button for x amount of time, I even followed steps on how to do a hard reset (involving the reseating of the ram) and nothing seems to work. I'm now attempting to just leave it on and have it heat up to a decent amount to see if that triggers the fans, and that's about all I have read to do for problems like these, can't find much more information.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to fix this and I can't have it repaired by a professional as I don't have the money, so I'm asking if anyone can think of anything I can do that I haven't done already that could possibly salvage my laptop.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:22 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read through what you have already tried to get this laptop up and running again, but I noticed you did not replace the battery on the motherboard of your laptop.

When those die out they can cause issues, and they only cost around $5.00 USD or less.

If you need more information on how replace yours let me know.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 gm380

gm380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hello, and thank you for the reply.

And yes that's correct I haven't tried that.
I did read that by taking the battery off and replacing it (if I recall correctly, I'd have to look at the webpage again and read what exactly it was) you can reset the BIOS settings and that might help, so if I'm going to replace the battery I might as well try that step first.

I don't think I need any further help, I think my options at this point are limited, so I'll give these last two options a go and see what happens.

Again, thank you for the help.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:56 PM

You're most welcomed for the help, please come back and let us know if that reset and battery change corrected the problem, we may have other solutions for you to try if this one fails to work.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users