Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Don't Have My Win 98 Software, But I Want To Format...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hiro1

Hiro1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

So my computer is a hand me down and has lots of stuff on it that I don't want, but I'm afraid to mess with it. I pretty much want to start from scratch. I want the computer to be like new and have only the programs I install on it. What options do I have. I don't have any software since it's a hand me down, but I may be able to track down some. Sorry I don't have specs right now since I'm not home.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

It's hard to say without knowing what you have. I like W2000 Pro. It is lite on resources but very secure. I would obtain your own legal copy of W2k or 98se first. It is good to have in case you have a problem that requires a Windows disk.
Another option is to switch your older computer to a live version of Linux. You could even run it from aCD for a while to see if you like it. If you don't you have lost nothing because it is not on your hard drive.

Edited by acklan, 20 January 2006 - 01:17 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Hiro1

Hiro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

yeah, It's running off of win 98 and I defently want to upgrade the OS. I was looking at W2k.
Posted Image

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

I have all my kids computer on W2k now, and most of the others. I think of it as XP lite. You will be very happy after 98.
That Live Linux Puppy Linux is only a 50MB +- download. Give it a try.

#5 Hiro1

Hiro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

It's worth a shot. I have two computer, I'll use it on the one in my closet to see how I like it.
Posted Image

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

I like version 1.0.4 It has the look and feel of '95. The current version is 1.0.7

#7 Marebare

Marebare

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:48 PM

Wow, I likewise would like to install W2K as my OS, but does that mean I have to format my hard drive? It just seems daunting to reinstall all of my programs. Also, I know that I have malware still on my PC; it's just such a bugger to remove it. I guess formatting my hard drive would take care of that, too.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:16 AM

You can have dual operating systems. You cannot replace '9x with W2k without at least formatting your hard drive. This does mean you will have to reinstall your programs and data. I would recommend a Wipe instead of just reformatting your drive prior to a clean install. The wipe will over write the entire disk destroying all data including any lingering virus/malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users