Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Plus Mail SMTP Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nunbet1037

Nunbet1037

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Here's my current system configuration:

Win7Pro 64-bit
Microsoft Outlook 2007 with an Exchange Server e-mail as my primary work e-mail and Yahoo POP mail for personal, etc.

I recently upgraded my Yahoo mail account to the "Plus" version that lets me POP my mail from Outlook 2007. I've been receiving e-mail fine. I was also able to send mail fine until last night and now I can't send any mail via SMTP. The port is set to 587, since my ISP (Verizon DSL) blocks port 25.

Verizon says there's nothing wrong on their end, it's a Yahoo problem. Yahoo's automated "support" agent says there's nothing wrong on their end, it's anyone's problem but theirs (which I don't believe) and, of course, Yahoo's :censored: support desk people are not in today. :ranting:

The Outlook settings are correct for the Yahoo mail, as follows:

Incoming POP3 server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
Incoming POP3 port: 110
Encryption: None

Outgoing SMTP server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing SMTP port: 587
Encryption: None
SMTP Authentication: "Checked"

Additional info:

1) The Yahoo login username and password are correct
2) I am able to send and receive e-mails just fine using the web mail client
3) Incoming Exchange e-mail is delivered to the standard *.OST folder file
4) Incoming POP3 e-mail is delivered to the correct *.PST folder file
5) I just noticed that outgoing Yahoo mail seems to be sent from the Outbox in the OST file, even though it's sent using the Yahoo account (this seems odd)
6) "Sent" mail for the Yahoo account gets filed in the PST folder, even though it appears to "leave" through the Exchange Outbook

I'm just about fed up with this problem. I've had the Yahoo e-mail address for years and I REALLY don't want to have to change e-mail addresses.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone know of a solution? :scratchhead:

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:25 PM

I've had this problem before, although the email client was Thunderbird. I could retrieve email but could not send, same ports too.

Check your firewall settings. In my case it turned out to be the hard ware firewall in the DSL modem was blocking port 587.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users