Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk space 'disappearing' on XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Knee

John Knee

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

In summary, around 55Gb of hard disk space has "disappeared" and I am getting "out of resources" messages pop up....

My system is a PC running XP - my system automatically looks to download and install any new urgent patches at least weekly. My firewall and virus protection is via Bullguard v8.7.

Leading up to my problems, I know I had around 50-55Gb of disk space. A number of months ago I run out of disk space but freed up short of 100Gb by moving all my .mp3s, .wmv etc to my 1Tb external hard drive. A few weeks ago I finally got around to downloading via Steam the game Half Life 2 (which I paid for about a year ago with TF2) and after downloading the last additional missions it estimated I would have circa 50-55Gb left.

Yesterday (Sunday 4th) my firewall reported an attempted attempt on my PC while I was running a full virus scan (I tend to run it in the back ground most days I am on). If I am running a scan but not at my PC, I often hit the panic button since we have a couple of PCs and a laptop using the router and don't wish to cut the other user's access. I have a suspicion that the 'attack' might have happened when the panic button was on, and the IP of 255.2xx.xxx.xxx was recorded - I'm not sure as I thought the 255.2xx etc was maybe a router IP entry or something like that but then dismissed it. The IP cited is merely my vague memory and might not be correct. On the other hand, I mention it just in case it might be important.

I didn't think much about it until later today (Monday) when my PC reported a lack of HD resources. I right clicked on my C: drive and looked at the properties to be told I had 0kb left. I did a hard shut down of my PC and rebooted. This time it was showing up 32kb. I moved over about 10Gb of documents I'd want to keep onto my external drive. I then ran both Bullguard anti-virus and Malwarebytes anti-Malware (both full scans) and got a clean bill of health on the former but a blank notepad for the later.

I then checked my C: resources again and found the 10Gb was now zero. I then rebooted and found myself with only 5.72Mb of free disk space. A quick scan via Malwarebytes (quick scan) returns a clean bill of health.

Right now, Bullguard has the panic button on to block the internet although this is redundant as I have also pulled the network cable out of the router. I am currently typing this on our second home PC and have no idea if the issue could spread via the router and the fact the three computers we own can spot when the others are switched on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Try to find out what is taking up all the space on your drive.

To do this you can use JDiskReport.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 John Knee

John Knee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

30 minutes gone and another 1.5 hours of scanning estimated? Does that sound right for a 228Gb HD? I selected full C:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

It sounds excessive. It took less than 5 mins to scan my drive which has 40GB of used space.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 John Knee

John Knee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Would you advise I restart or? I have 228Gb of used space...

Edited by John Knee, 05 September 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

Cancel it and try this tool instead.

http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview/

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 John Knee

John Knee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

The original programme finished. How would you want it displayed? Image? Breakdown of largest files?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

There is no need to display it here. But did you discover what's taking up all the space? Is any particular directory hogging a lot of space?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 John Knee

John Knee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

It is Bullguard's scanlogs. A couple of days ago it created a .txt file 35Gb in size :blink: . In the last month or so, 8 .txt log files with a combined size of 122.60GB was apparently created.

The question is why? I am guessing this is something to ask Bullguard about directly, unless there is something else that you can think of? If not, then thanks for your help.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

I don't know anything about Bullguard so I can't really offer any advice; sorry.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users