Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Windoes

Windoes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

I have a Lenovo Laptop that is overheating. I have cleaned all dust and debris from the fan, cooling fins and so on. I have even cleaned the processor and applied new thermal compound. The laptop runs for about 5-10 minutes with no programs running then shuts down. The CPU and heatsink are so hot they could almost burn your fingers. The fan is running at high speed, and a significant amount of air is blowing out of the unit. The air being blown out is cool (The heatsink is cool in front of the fan, and hot on the CPU). Is it possible that the copper heatsink is bad and not transferring heat over to the fan?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hello and Welcome to BC :welcome:

Could you give your Lenovo Model type on your next post?

If you Processor is hot and your Heatsink is cool thats mean your not plug your Heatsink on right position.

When you reapply new thermal paste (compound) do you clean it first? old thermal paste could be like a rock that hold heat and not transfered to heatsink.

Btw. Does your Heatsink only cover your Processor or cover your Processor and VGA?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Windoes

Windoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

Hi Thanks for the reply.

First off, it is a Lenovo G560. The heatsink and CPU were throughly cleaned with denatured alcohol, and were 100% free of old thermal compound. The Heatsink is installed correctly, and yes it does cover the CPU and VGA. The heatsink is very hot over the CPU, however if you go a couple inches away from the processor, the heatsink is cool to the touch. It almost seems like the heat is not transferring the length of the copper tube. Which is why I wonder if it is possible to have a faulty heatsink (if a heatsink can go bad).

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

The copper tube is a heat pipe which tranfers the heat away from the CPU to the fins where it gets cooled by the airflow. If the heat pipe isn't warm out near the fins it could be bad. Heat pipes hold a smal quanity of liquid under a vacuum. If the pipe gets a small hole in it the vacuum is lost and with it the ability to cool the CPU properly since the vacuum allows the liquid inside to boil off at a much lower temperature than under normal pressure. One way to check that invo;ves removing the heatsink. You must hold the fan and cable so it cannot rattle or make any noise. Then holding the heatsink close to your ear shake it back and forth. If the heatsink it still good you should hear what sounds like a tiny ball bearing very quitely rattling inside the heatpipe. This is the liquid which forms a ball under the vacuum. If the pipe is compromised you will hear nothing because the liquid has boiled off.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

And yes it is possible for them to go bad I have replaced two or three recently here at work.

My simple test is if the CPU end is hot and the fins are cool it is bad. All three times that was the symptom and replacing the Heatsink assembly cured the problem.

One thing to watch on laptops is if there is a thermal pad. If so replace it.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Windoes

Windoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the tips. I shook the heatsink, and heard nothing at all. So I figure I am safe to order the new heatsink. It worked out great for me. I got the laptop for free, and a new heatsink is $8 plus shipping. Laptop is almost brand new, just overheating. Well I will let you know when the heatsink arrives and I fire it up. Thanks again.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

You are lucky. I replaced the motherboards in two Toshiba laptops that died from the bad heat sinks. Fortunately for the customers they still were within warranty so no charge.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 Windoes

Windoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

New heatsink and a little thermal paste. Laptop is purring right along. Fan speed cycles and everything is great. Now, I have tiny little red dots all over display. I feel this may be a LCD issue. Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users