Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Ram to my toughbook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

My Panasonic Toughbook, CF-29 Mark III has 512MB of Ram. I want to add the max allowable which will be an additional 1 GB. Ram I can use will be 200-pin DDR PC-2700 SODIMMs module.
Do I need to add or update a driver or should this be OK to just snap in and GO??
Also from the Panasonic web site I downloaded and ran Drive Detective. It is pretty reassuring that any driver updates that are recommended after scanning will be no problem.
One of the drivers to update is Intel Pro/wireless 2950ABG Network Connection. I assume I can do the update even though it is using the present driver for my wireless internet connection?
Is there ever a time that updating drivers is not a good idea.
If something in this post is not clear please ask any questions.
Thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

RAM is just plug and go.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

From what i have read, the laptop has only 1 ram slot. DDR memory are a bit expensive but i have found one that would work in your laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820172105

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

Thanks cryptodan and killerx525 for your responses.
Yes, the Toughbook only has one slot for memory expansion so I want to get the most I can.
I have read some good things about the ram from crucial.com
A little more expensive, around $54.00. Does " You get what you pay for" count for RAM also? Think I might go with this.
I now realize that Drive Detective is a pay program. I had found the link from what I assumed was a Panasonic site. I thought at first it was just a tool to check the drivers.
Disappointed that it was not mentioned that the scan is free but from what I now read
you need to pay for the program to update the drivers it found that were out of date.
My Comodo was getting all paranoid and I had to keep granting permission for the scanner download.
I always check and search before downloading to be sure a program is OK. I had assumed it was a Panasonic tool so I did not do this. I guess I got lucky this time. Just glad it appears to be a legit program and not a malware infested scam. I am not purchasing it at this time.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:35 AM

No not really but i know that Kingston is well known for their quality ram they make and also it is cheaper then the Crucial ram :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

Thanks killerx525 (Michael)
I will look into the Kingston Ram.
These computers are designed to Mil. specs and used by the military, police depts. and utility's. As they are very very expensive when new they get leased to the police, and other organizations that need their ruggedness.When the lease is up they sell for a fraction of the new price.This one was $379.00. It's on the slow side and HD is only 40G. ( But I could throw it down the stairs and still expect it to work!) :crazy: Seems like they have developed a following because of their uniqueness.
I noticed on a Toughbook blog that some machines had problems when adding RAM. Not entirely sure why.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Not a bad price you bought it for. If you are gonna replace the HDD, it would bit more expensive because of the IDE interface.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users