Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Advice on Using DVD Decryptor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi, last year I made a very successful video ripping movies and scenes using DVD Decryptor with AVS Video Converter running in the background. For some reason, I am having problems with that combo.

As I recall, last year I was told you could run AVS Video Converter invisibly "in the background" and the movies would come out perfectly. And they did! I'm experiencing a minor glitch, and trying to remember how to do this (it's been more than six months).

Does anyone have any instructions you could send me on this, or a link to click on, for instructions on using these programs together? It worked awesome last year, and I'm sure I'm doing something minorly stupid this time to screw it up.

Please do not send me info on any new programs. I am very comfortable with these two, after trying many others, and will not be switching to something else. I have a really SLOW learning curve, and it took me over two months to teach myself how to do this. I won't be trying any other different programs.

Thanks!
Educated Guess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

What kind of glitch are you talking about?

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

Hi, Madman, thanks for responding. The ripped files within DVD Decrytper are VOB files, and they will not play in Windows Media Player, which is my chosen player. I get an error message whenever I try to play one. WMV is my chosen format, since I use Windows Movie Maker to make my videos.

Please don't ask me to abandon WMM and switch movie programs. People always crack on me because I use WMM, but it is fast, simple, easy to use, and most importantly, does fabulous titles in a snap, unlike many other more powerful programs, like Adobe, which is beefy and fancy and does the worst titles I've ever seen. This makes sense, since Adobe Reader and Acrobat are some of the worst programs ever designed. Don't get me started on Abobe.

Anyway, last time I did this I somehow ran the AVS Video Converter at the same time I was ripping the files with DVD Decrypter, and I ended up with all WMM files after the rip was complete, and they ran just fine. I have also tried DVD Shrink, but the combination doesn't work as well. I had a lot of problems with the AV sync with the combo of DVD Decrytper and AVS Video Converter, with the sound lagging a full second behind the video playback. With the other combo I used, the AV sync was perfect every time.

Thanks,
Educated Guess

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

What is the extension of the final file created with your choices of software, and have the settings been changed?

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

Madman:
Thanks for responding. To my knowledge, no settings have been changed. File extensions are currently VOB, which apparently won't run on WMV player.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:20 AM

THat would indicate that you are missing a codec for that specific file type / media file. I would usually recommend just using another player, but you already told us that you would prefer to stick with Windows Media Player. The other player I was going to / would suggest is the following: VLC which is a light weight easy to use player.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

#7 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Bleepin Madman:

A couple more questions. Things are going better, but here is another glitch. I am able to rip video files to my HD using DVD Decrypter; they are VOB files. I want to then convert them to WMV or AVI, but when I open my AVS Video converter it does not "See" the VOB files for the movie, only some smaller files. Can anyone explain why this would be? I cannot find the files to load them into the converter to convert them.

Does Windows have something possible in the OS blocking ripped video files? I'm really puzzled.

Also, is this VLS program you recommended a video CONVERTER also, or just a player? I need a video converting program that can change these large VOB video files to WMV and/or AVI.

And if the VLS doesn't do this, do you know of another good freeware app out there that might do this?

Thanks Very Much,
Educated Guess

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

this forum looks like something you would be interested in: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?convert=VOB%20to%20AVI

VLC can also record movies.

#9 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hi, I discussed this issue with another member, but am clarifying the question. If you do not know the answer, could you please refer me to a specific online forum that deals with issues of DVD ripping. Thanks!

I am an English professor and I am preparing a video on Shakespeare. I have done this before, but have run into some minor technical glitches.

This presentation involves ripping movies from various DVD’s, then converting them and reassembling various scenes from them on a single DVD. Again, I am not a total newbie to this, but a bit of a technical novice.

I did this last year and produced an amazing video. I am trying to use the same tools: DVD Decrypter for ripping, and AVS Video Converter for conversion to either AVI or WMV.

Here is the problem. I can successfully rip the files no prob with DVD Decrypter. It’s a snap. However, when I go to convert the video files using AVS Video Converter, this program cannot “see” the ripped video files.

To be more specific, the rip copies more than 20 files successfully. The large video files are VOB files, 0.99 in size, labeled VTS_01_01, etc. These cannot be found using AVS Video Converter, even though I know they are there.

A little more background: I am not a techie and have a slow learning curve. I would prefer to stay with these two programs, if at all possible, since I know how to use them. Also, I am limited on budget. If I do have to switch programs, please try to recommend a quality freeware solution, or something low-cost.

So my questions are:
1) What the heck is going on?
2) Why can’t AVS Video Converter see the large VOB files?
3) Are there any settings I can change in either program to fix this problem?
4) If I can’t fix it with these two programs, what similar, low-cost tools might help me make this video?

Thanks very much in advance for reading and responding to this post.

CharmedLife417

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2011 - 03:39 PM.
Merged topics.

#10 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

Madman:

Thanks for the heads up. I posted in that forum, which looks like a great one, and also reposted in here.

Appreciate It.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users