Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EPG files? They take up 63.1GB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel1786

Rachel1786

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

I am pretty sure they are some kind of system files, but I'm not really computer savy so I wanted to ask what they are. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome\EPG.
My hard drive capacity is only 181GB and when I check yesterday I had about 63.7GB free space so I decided to transfer all my pics and some other docs to my external hard drive. I only managed to gain about 20 more GBs now having a total of 86.5GB free space. My computer has been ridiculously slow lately and none of the many scans I have done lately have shown any spyware,malware or viruses. I have also defraged before and after removing files with smart defrag 2. I can't afford a new computer and this computer only has .99GB ram, so I do plan on adding more, which I think would help, but I really want to gain some more free space of possible.

Computer info:
Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Gateway GM5259E
Intel®
Pentium® D CPU 2.8GHz
2.80GHz, 0.99GB of RAM

I forgot to mention that all the files in there are random letters/numbers and .sdf example 3170e25c13c549668222b98205324ee6.sdf is the first one

Edited by Rachel1786, 05 September 2011 - 01:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

They are episode guides for Media Center. I'm not at all familiar with them but you could try moving the files to a temporary folder and then re-download the guide and see if everything works correctly. If so delete the old files. They probably accumulate a lot of data over time.

so I decided to transfer all my pics and some other docs to my external hard drive

You should do a proper backup! Important files need to be on 2 separate physical hard drives at once. Hard drives fail all the time. Whether internal or external.

#3 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

They are episode guides for Media Center. I'm not at all familiar with them but you could try moving the files to a temporary folder and then re-download the guide and see if everything works correctly. If so delete the old files. They probably accumulate a lot of data over time.

so I decided to transfer all my pics and some other docs to my external hard drive

You should do a proper backup! Important files need to be on 2 separate physical hard drives at once. Hard drives fail all the time. Whether internal or external.

Forgive my ignorance but how do I do a "proper backup"? I just thought dragging and dropping to the external was all I needed to do lol. Also how would I re-download the guide? I don't ever use the media center, I find it difficult to use and annoying honestly. I messed with it when I first got the computer and that was about it. So if I don't use the media center program do I actually need the files?

Random unrelated question, I was looking on newegg for ram, how do I know what type I need? The types I can choose from are 168-Pin SDRAM, 184-Pin DDR SDRAM, 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM and 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM.
Thanks

ETA: I found this site http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=GM5259E&pl=gateway&cat= but it still doesn't specify how many pins.

Edited by Rachel1786, 05 September 2011 - 02:28 PM.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

...I was looking on newegg for ram, how do I know what type I need?

Compatible RAM for Gateway GM5259E

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

For the ram, run the Crucial System Scanner tool from here or you can select your make/model manually from here (Crucial Memory Advisorô Tool).

As to the EPG files, I would delete them then if you are not using Media Center.

I played around with it a bit on Windows 7 running in a VM and came across this....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If it's the same as XP, simply uncheck those 2 items so the episode guide does not continue to download.

I'll get back to you in a bit about the backups. Make sure to watch this topic Posted Image.

#6 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Thank you, I deleted them which helped clear up most of my hard drive. I have also changed the setting so the files don't download anymore, it was slightly different but close enough that I figured it out. I have also ordered 3 sticks of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134114 ram as it appears to be compatible with my system. so that would bring my ram from .99GB up to 4GB. My main goal is to finally get this PC to the point where I can play sims 3 as previously the game had trouble loading and lagged when it did load, usually crashing after a few minutes. I'm also going to look into getting a new video card if the additional ram doesn't help.
I have it watched and will be coming back often to reply to questions. Thank you

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users