Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem keeps resetting, AT & T says I have virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sleeping Awake

Sleeping Awake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Hello all, thanks for reading.

I am tearing my hair out over this problem. I've had AT & T wireless about 3 months now - my DSL modem keeps shutting off and resetting. I am minding my own biz and all of a sudden everything freezes, I get the blinking red light on the modem, I sit and wait and wait then it boots up again. All I had pulled up, all those pages and tabs and work is lost. I'll get the web page that says "the site can't contact the service provider" or "page I'm looking for (name any major big site!) can't be found" or "Internet connection can't connect to provider:. It will ask if I want to look for a solution but will always say it can't find anything wrong but it found a solution so I'm good to go. Then it'll say to close the browser and continue on. So as I said, I've lost everything, I have to start all over.

This happens sometimes 4 times a minute, and sometimes I'm fine for an hour. Sometimes it will shut off twice in a row right after the other.

I have called AT & T nine times since I have had their service. They have been out to the house 3 times, checking the wires outside and inside, the phone box, the lines along the walls. I have one desktop (the one with the problems) and a laptop that doesn't have this problem.

AT & T found nothing. The tech people have showed me there is a good signal and nothing is interfering with things. They even gave me a new modem though the other one wasn't even a month old. The last guy who came out even called two supervisors who reset things from the office, and stayed on the phone with the tech as I surfed around after all this, the Modem kept turning off and rebooting and both said they had no idea why it was happening and were stumped.

They said the only thing it could be is a virus. I am pathological about running scans on my comp and not going to
sites that could be unsafe. I don't do a heck of a lot on the computer so the sites I go to are very limited.

I have Kaspersky running (paid version). After being told this I downloaded and ran: Hijack This, Spybot, Malwarebytes - all came up negative. Hijack This did show a ton of "file missing" but I don't know what they are or why they're missing.

After lots more digging around, I found that 98% of the time the modem shuts off when I am leaving two specfic websites that my niece plays on (I'm not sure if I can put the URL so I won't until asked). As soon as I close these sites down, the modem resets. They are both listed in the "allowed" safe sites in Kaspersky and are known kid's game sites. I even thought it might be some ad causing problems so I went and Opted-Out of every ad company I could find to do so.

This has also happened, however, when pulling up my Windows Explorer, or just clicking on a news link and reading my home page stuff.

Often I will click on a link and it will be "dead", the whole page isn't active, so I have to close the site down and pull it up again, then the links will be active. My browser freezes up A LOT. I have uninstalled Flash and reinstalled an older version from June after reading that a recent Flash release was causing massive problems. I uninstalled and freshly installed Shockwave, Adobe You Name It, Java and updated my display drivers.

This happens in both IE an FIrefox.

Any help is appreciated, this is really getting old, old, old.

Thanks again...happy Labor day!

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2011 - 09:51 PM.
Moved from Networking to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Just to be sure I have flagged this thread to be moved to the Am I infected forums to have our experts take a look and make sure your clean. If all goes well there we can continue where they leave off.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Sleeping Awake

Sleeping Awake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:40 AM

I am not going to check back to see if anyone is helping me, this has been sitting here a week and no one has posted.

The only other time I posted a problem, this same thing happened - no one replied.

I posted this on two other boards and got replies within hours.

So thanks anyway, I just didn't want anyone to post and waste their time here...I won't check back to read it

<closed>

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

Topic closed.
OP wasting peoples time in several forums.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users