Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

\windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

Disregard the sig line; it's not the computer with the problem.

Problem computer (son's laptop):

HP Pavilion laptop,
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 2800+,
224 MB RAM (256),
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M,
1.60GHz,
Windows XP

I'm the one who has to take care of the malware programs for him. Last updated them on the 4th:

Windows updates, AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, CCleaner, a-squared (downloaded), ewido (downloaded and updated), SpywareGuard (downloaded and updated), SpywareBlaster (downloaded), ZoneAlarm

I didn't do the screenshot/snapshot thing in SpywareGuard--I was going to go back and do that but forgot to.

The computer did NOT come with a disk.

The problem:

When he turned it on last night after not using it for a day or two, all he got was a black screen with the following:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Even though we don't have a CD, I still tried pressing 'r' to see what would happen. It went right back to the same black screen/same message.

Same thing happened when I tapped the F8 trying for safe mode.

So where do we stand now? Thanks.

ETA: We've turned it off and back on at least three times and still the same screen. He has a Pogo game called Hammerhead Pool To Go downloaded but hasn't played it yet (I don't think). He's also had Limewire which I told him to get rid of on the 4th and he did. No other malware maintenance was done since getting rid of Limewire though.

ETA: I believe that I got rid of the Pogo game on the 4th, now that I think about it.

Edited by Lily Livered, 20 January 2006 - 10:22 AM.

Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:26 AM

Try C:\sfc /scannow from the command line. Can you F8 and enter Safe Mode? It will probably require the disk, but depending on the problem it may not.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

It doesn't let me type anything. It doesn't have a blinking cursor (indicating that you can type in something).

No, won't go into safe mode; just the same screen comes back.

Time to go to the shop?

Edited by Lily Livered, 20 January 2006 - 10:30 AM.

Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

I would call HP and see if you can brow beat them into sending you a set of restore disks. I was able to get a set for the $25 next day Fedx fee.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

HP likes to create a hidden partition on the hard drive with the restore information there. Was there an entry for HP System Tools or System Recovery on the menu?

You can try booting with a bootdisk and seeing if you can locate the hidden partition. If successful, you may be able to get the system restore working. You should be able to find specific directions on the HP site (I'd look it up, but am having eye problems at the present).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:03 AM

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can do and most likely be right back here.

Was there an entry for HP System Tools or System Recovery on the menu?

Not sure where you mean. The Start menu? If so, I believe there was.

ETA: Don't have a boot disk. Guess this will teach me to create them now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Lily Livered, 20 January 2006 - 11:06 AM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

You can download a XP boot disk at http://www.bootdisk.com

#8 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

You can download a XP boot disk at http://www.bootdisk.com

Waaaaah!! :thumbsup: We don't have a floppy drive....

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:39 PM

Use the CD and burn an image. Boot from the CD.

#10 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:24 PM

I'm really sorry to be such a pain, but I don't know which exactly that I need to choose.

*Windows XP Fresh Install Bootdisk and Bootable CD ?

*BOOTABLE CD
CD To Read/Write/Copy/Delete/Edit Files On NTFS DRIVEs ?

*Something else ?

I'm sorry. I just don't know. Thanks for the time you're giving me. Please tell me exactly which to get.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:13 AM

That's ok. There is alittle learning curve but you are doing fine. The Bootable CD is the one you want. To make an .iso image you simply pick that format from the drop down box when your software asks you how you want to write the CD.
The boot software will need to be downloaded into it's own folder so create on before you download the software. If it is compressed (.zip) unzip it into that folder.
When writing the Boot CD write only the files inside the folder not the folder it's self. If you write the folder to the CD your computer will not be able to see the boot files inside the folder and your computer will not boot.

#12 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

Okay, I've paid and downloaded to a folder I created on my C: drive. I've extracted the .zip files of which there are three:

1. README
Text Document
7KB

2. README.1ST
1ST File
1KB

3. XPBOOT.ISO
ISO File
2818 KB

The 2nd one's icon looks the same as the .ISO one, neither one can be opened by Windows (which I know we don't need to do--we just need to burn it to the CD now BUT....) do I only burn the .ISO file or all three?
I only ask because I don't know if it will confuse the computer it's going onto by having those two readme files on the CD...do you know what I mean?

I'm getting there, just the one question so far.

Edited:
Wait, I have another question about the burning--but it'll take me a couple minutes to prepare the question....
Just wanted you to know there's another question or two coming, before you answer this post. IF you're still here. If you have to leave, I'll patiently wait for you whenever you can come back--tomorrow or whenever. Thanks so much.

Okay, it is a SONIC burner and has more than a few options. I'm not sure which to choose between two of them:

1. Under DATA:
Direct-to-Disc---Drag and drop files from your computer directly to a CD or DVD disc with Sonic Drive Letter Access (DLA)

or

2. Under COPY:
Save and Burn Disc Images---Save and Burn GI and ISO disc image files for increased duplication power.

I would think the second one since it says ISO, but I want to be SURE...because I don't know if the first option above is going to show me the drop down thing where I'm supposed to choose ISO.....I hope you're following me alright. I'm not always good at explaining.

Edited by Lily Livered, 21 January 2006 - 02:27 AM.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:25 AM

What do you mean paid?
To create a boot disk burm the .iso image to a CD. That is it. When it asks you what you want to write at the bottom of the burning software will have a drop down box. In it will have .iso . Use that file format to select and write the infomation to the CD.

#14 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:30 AM

What do you mean paid?
To create a boot disk burm the .iso image to a CD. That is it. When it asks you what you want to write at the bottom of the burning software will have a drop down box. In it will have .iso . Use that file format to select and write the infomation to the CD.

Well, when I clicked on the Bootable Disc, it said once you have paid $4 to the guy to help keep the site going, you will have access to the download page....I'm okay with that. Hope I didn't do something wrong already....I thought I was going along pretty well. ???

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:34 AM

No. Nothing wrong. He has to eat also. I thought you may have went to a different site.
I will be here for a while. I may have to make a run but I'll be back. Do you have another question?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users