Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer spooler trouble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nomad3000

nomad3000

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Greetings,
Wife said, "The printer's not printing...", so I went to the control panel to look at the printer under "printing/faxing". The following error message shows up when I try to add a printer: "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running".

Here's what I've done so far:
1.) Ran Malwarebytes; CCleaner. Found one item, but apparently getting rid of it didn't fix the problem.
2.) Went to Computer Management/Services and Applications, checked the spooler, turned it on. It won't stay on. It hasn't turned on automatically in numerous restarts.
3.) I uninstalled everything pertaining to my printer (HP), and reinstalled it according to its instructions. That did not fix the problem.

I'm eager to find any other ideas. If anyone knows of any, please advise. Greatly appreciate your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

I would try either ruhnning the sfc /scannow command...or a repair install of Windows.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#3 nomad3000

nomad3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

I tried the sfc scan. Did not fix the problem. I'll try the second option. Thanks for the tips. More in a while.

#4 nomad3000

nomad3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

Just tried to start the service again in PC Manager. At that point I got an Avast Trojan warning. Coincidence? Will try another scan first. Please feel free to share any thoughts.

#5 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Just tried to start the service again in PC Manager. At that point I got an Avast Trojan warning. Coincidence? Will try another scan first. Please feel free to share any thoughts.

Give this a try: http://www.ehow.com/how_4867793_fix-printer-spooler-windows-xp.html
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

I have no idea what PM Manager might be.

Please post the exact message sent by Avast.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users