Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh Boy!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Handyman2005

Handyman2005

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Recently my os(WinXP SP3)decidied to continually give me a BSOD upon reboot.
I have a brand new disc from Microsoft containing Win XP Professional so I went about installing it.
When I was installing it, it asked to name a file for the location of the new OS so I put in C:\NewFiles.
Now the computer boots to WinXP Pro BUT I still have the original Windows XP Home on the drive!!!!

I am so confused. Programs will work if I move them from the original program files to the Newfiles file but I have 109G of info on the HD that I have no idea how to get rid of.
I know there are duplicates and copies but I have no clue how to disern what is good and what is not.

Can anyone help me????????

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Let's start at the beginning.

1) Why would you put the OS in any folder other than one named WINDOWS?
2) Do you want two OS' or one?
3) Are you prepared to start from scratch? If so, it's as easy as booting to the OS cd, choosing FORMAT, and then install (do NOT pick a different name for the default OS location other than Windows). If you do not want to start from scratch, boot to the OS you want to keep, open Windows Explorer, and delete the system folder for the other OS. Then open the boot.ini file and delete the entry for the OS you deleted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users