Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System image on External hard drive is not accesible while restoring PC from image

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yashoshah

yashoshah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:25 AM

The windows system image backed up on my external hard drive (2TB WD USB3) is not showing while restoring the PC from an image.

The only option available is my hard drive partition on which i also had saved a system image.

What is the reason?
Though windows recommends External hard drive for backing up image when backing up the system. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

Your system may not be able to see usb devices at boot. Check in bios for a setting that enables USB at boot. If there isn't such a setting, and if your system is fairly old and can't see the device, you'll have to copy the image to a separate partition on the hd.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Quick question, is this a usb 3.0 drive? Try plugging it into a regular usb port on your mobo. Windows most likely does not have drivers for the 3.0 ports. Just a guess. As always correct me if I'm wrong. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

Are you running Windows Recovery Environment from Windows install media? Make sure the file is named WindowsImageBackup. Otherwise, Windows will not "see" the image file. Also, have you modified or moved the WindowsImageBackup file at all? It could be just a corrupt image.... :mellow:

#5 yashoshah

yashoshah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

@Allan
My BIOS settings are all fine and the system is latest one having the Gigabyte USB3.0 (GA-H57M-USB3) MoBo.

I tried the image on my another USB 2.0 hard drive also, but still no detection by Windows in restoring mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users