Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on Dell D610, XP SP3, Driver Issues

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Poe1974

Poe1974

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:53 AM

Morning All,

Not come across one like this in the 18 or so months I have been qualified and actively repairing pcs so wondering if somebody could assist me please ?

I have a customers Dell D610 Laptop at the moment as a week after me going round to update her paid Antivirus (Bitdefender 2011 to 2012 Edition), she contacted me to say her she was getting no sound.

I went to collect it and when I asked her whether she had done anything different on the pc, she said she had done a cleanup scan and also scanned the registry for issues using CCleaner. I asked if she had backed it up before doing the scan and she said no !!

I brought the laptop home and ran a few virus and malware scans as the pc seemed quite slow using Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and A Squared but all came back clear.

Checked the device manager and the following Sound, Video and Game controllers have yellow exclamation marks in front of them:-

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Drivers
Media Control Devices
Microsoft Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceller
Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter
Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer
Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler
Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer
Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer
Microsoft WINMN WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
Sigmatel C-Major Audio
Video Codecs

So I would have thought this would be an issue with the Sigmatel audio driver so:-

I have checked the Virus vault in Bitdefender just to make sure it hasn't accidentally been moved there.

I have tried uninstalling all the above and reinstalling the audio driver from the Dell support website but no luck.

I have also tried reinstalling all drivers on the Dell CD that was shipped with the laptop but still no luck.

I tried a smaller capacity hard drive in the laptop with a copy of XP on and installed all the drivers on from the Dell CD and everything works fine.

I have done a repair install with the XP cd and that has made no difference.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated as I'm losing a lot of hair.

Cheers

Andy
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

Appears to me that you have a number of XP sound files...which are not installed...as well as the Sigmatel audio controller.

<<I have done a repair install with the XP cd and that has made no difference>>

That should have eliminated the absent Microsoft files, which certainly would be necessary before installing the Sigmatel drivers, IMO.

If you replaced the hard drive and encountered no problems...it would seem that the finger points to the hard drive or the partition structure on the troublesome hard drive.

Did you try running the XP Sound Troubleshooter?

Louis

#3 Poe1974

Poe1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:15 AM

Thanks Louis, tried the xp audio troubleshooter which couldn't solve the issue.

Any ideas folks ?
Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

Sorry, I can't think of anything else that I would do.

Louis

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

Checked the device manager and the following Sound, Video and Game controllers have yellow exclamation marks in front of them:-

Could you tell more about that yellow exclamation marks? Does any code on that yellow exclamation marks?

Could you tell about your VGA? Does it have High Definition Audio on it? Nowdays VGA usually have HDA driver and it will be different with Sigmatel driver and it will be on your VGA driver not on Sigmatel driver.

Could you go to device that have yellow mark and paste your Device Instance Id (it will be on Detail tab) on your next post? Click on the string and press Ctrl C (keyboard shortcut for save) and paste it on your next post.

Edited by abauw, 07 September 2011 - 06:55 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

Are you quite certain that there is not an additional sound card in the system?
What bothers me is the Microsoft Kernel entries. The Sigma Tel AC97 sound card should not need them.
Are these the drivers that you used?

I would pop the case & make sure that there isnt another card in there that you may not be aware of.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Poe1974

Poe1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

Could you tell more about that yellow exclamation marks? Does any code on that yellow exclamation marks?

Yes, Sorry it says Code 39 next to all exclamation marks, missing or corrupted driver. Have installed the original driver from the Dell CD that shipped with the laptop.

Could you tell about your VGA? Does it have High Definition Audio on it? Nowdays VGA usually have HDA driver and it will be different with Sigmatel driver and it will be on your VGA driver not on Sigmatel driver.

Not too sure about that tbh. Reinstalled the vga driver as well but hasn't made any difference.

Could you go to device that have yellow mark and paste your Device Instance Id (it will be on Detail tab) on your next post? Click on the string and press Ctrl C (keyboard shortcut for save) and paste it on your next post.

The device instance Id for the sigmatel driver is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01821028&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&F2

Are you quite certain that there is not an additional sound card in the system?
What bothers me is the Microsoft Kernel entries. The Sigma Tel AC97 sound card should not need them.

Yes those are the ones

I would pop the case & make sure that there isnt another card in there that you may not be aware of.

Definitely not another card in as it is totally standard as the day she bought it and its worked fince up until she used ccleaner.

Thanks guys

Andy
Posted Image

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01821028&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&F2

According to pcidatabase.com
266E is VIA Technologies Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver.
Could you download this and extraxt then install it.
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/vinyl_v700b.zip

Edited by abauw, 08 September 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#9 Poe1974

Poe1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:28 AM

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01821028&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&F2

According to pcidatabase.com
266E is VIA Technologies Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver.
Could you download this and extraxt then install it.
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/vinyl_v700b.zip

Thanks for the advice abauw, unfortunately that hasn't worked. Installed it but nothing has changed.
Posted Image

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

Do you use Setup.exe to installing that driver?
If yes please Manually Update your driver with Vinyl972.inf.

On Vinyl972.inf there was string PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E and that means it will contain your driver except you have give me wrong Hardware Ids.

Have you try download this.
On Stac97.inf there was string PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E and that means it will contain your driver

Edited by abauw, 10 September 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#11 Poe1974

Poe1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

Tried uninstalling the driver and installing the original Dell one too. Ran as an administrator but it's still not working.
Posted Image

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

Could you tell what method that you use to update that driver? using setup.exe or manually upgrade?
Go to Safe Mode and Uninstall that driver and Intalling it again.

Could you go to Device Manager click on View Tab then select Show Hidden Devices and check does any yellow/red mark under System Devices tree.

Btw. Have you tried installing wrong driver before? If yes sometimes we need to delete that .inf files manually because everytime Windows detecting your driver it will back to that .inf files.

If you have VGA Driver for that Laptop. Could you give a try to manually update your driver with VGA Driver. Maybe that was not Sigmatel but your VGA Audio Devices (On newer VGA usually have an Audio Devices too). If any prompt shown up Please Read it and if it says you have insert wrong driver (or something like it) Please CANCEL that installation and try another devices.

Edited by abauw, 12 September 2011 - 07:24 PM.

#13 Poe1974

Poe1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Could you tell what method that you use to update that driver? using setup.exe or manually upgrade?
Go to Safe Mode and Uninstall that driver and Intalling it again.

Have tried doing it manually and using setup.exe. Have tried uninstalling from add remove programs and also from device manager. Have also tried uninstalling it and reinstalling from safe mode. Have also uninstalled all the items in the sound, video & game controllers list as well as all of them have yellow exclamation marks nest to them. All of them say error code 39.

Could you go to Device Manager click on View Tab then select Show Hidden Devices and check does any yellow/red mark under System Devices tree.

No hidden devices have yellow/red marks, just the ones in the sound, video & game controllers list.

Btw. Have you tried installing wrong driver before? If yes sometimes we need to delete that .inf files manually because everytime Windows detecting your driver it will back to that .inf files.

Have only tried to install the driver off the Dell Website which is the same one on the disk that shipped with the laptop. I have tried extracting the file to C: and installing it from there.
Could definitely do with some advice on deleting .inf files manually though just to be sure though.

If you have VGA Driver for that Laptop. Could you give a try to manually update your driver with VGA Driver. Maybe that was not Sigmatel but your VGA Audio Devices (On newer VGA usually have an Audio Devices too). If any prompt shown up Please Read it and if it says you have insert wrong driver (or something like it) Please CANCEL that installation and try another devices.

Tried reinstalling the original vga driver and no change.

Edited by Poe1974, 14 September 2011 - 02:31 PM.

Posted Image

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

Could you go to Device Manager and select your Device that have yellow mark. At Device Property select Driver tab and choice Driver Detail.
On Driver Detail it will contain list of your driver files location. If you have find it please paste it on your next post.

Sorry. I just want to make sure that we not deleting wrong files and make your Computer couldn't boot to Windows.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

Dell Diagnostics, with emphasis on hard drive.

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users