Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Processor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hello everyone! I am not new here, I have had this account for a long time, but really haven't had any computer problems lately, so i really haven't needed to come around, until now that is. So, to get to my problem. Well I decided to build a new computer, since the one I built in Jan 09 (with help from this site) was a little outdated, and I wanted something a little more new. Here are the specs by the way...

MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
hec XP1080 800W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V / EPS12V CrossFire & SLI NVIDIA HYBRID-SLI Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (main)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (back up)

So anyways, I put it all together, and it started up fine, no problem. Installed Windows on both of my hard drives to have a dual boot, and was pretty much good to go, besides reinstalling all my programs. After about 2 weeks, the computer started to freeze, like the desktop would freeze, and nothing would work, nothing was clickable, etc. but restarting would fix it. But i also noticed there was some disk errors in eventvwr, so i thought my main hard drive was going bad, until it actually went bad a few days later. By bad, i mean, it wouldn't load windows, it would just sit at the windows xp loading screen. Since i had a dual boot, i just went into my other windows, and saved everything i wanted, and was going to get another one.

Now here is where the problem comes in. Sometime after the main hard drive went bad (western digital btw, used their disk checking program) i restarted the computer, and neither of my boot options were there to pick from, it just went right to the "select where to boot from" screen, and all that was there was the option to pick 2.2 Infinity TSSC CD/DVD, but it wouldn't work anyways, whatever it is, because that's not my CD drive, even with a CD in the drive. So I looked online to get some answers, and came across something saying to use the recovery console with the XP disk, and copy the ntldr and ntdetect.com files, which worked, for the spare hard drive, but after I reset the computer, same deal, the XP boot options were gone, and I would have to copy those 2 files again to get it to work, and it eventually stopped working after a few times.

So I think that the motherboard is bad, so call Newegg and get a new one, and get it and install everything, and windows again, and think I'm good to go. However, the same thing happened. After a day, the same problem happened, both of my boot options are gone, and I can only load from that 2.2 Infinity thing, however, if I have the XP CD in the drive, and skip over the "press any key to boot from the CD" it will go to my boot options and I can pick from the 2 windows I have installed.

If it's not the motherboard that's bad, is it possible it's the processor? It's not overclocked, everything is stock settings, not bent pins, nothing that would make me think it's bad, but I don't know what would be causing my boot options to disappear as if I never even installed Windows on this computer. Incase you are wondering, my main hard drive I'm using XP 64-bit, and my back up hard drive is XP 32-bit.

EDIT: ok, maybe the problem was that whatever the 2.2 Infinity thing was set to boot 2nd after the CD/DVD drive, and not the 2 hard drives, even though I thought I changed it, but I must have exited without saving, in the BIOS...

Edited by dnap, 03 September 2011 - 07:04 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

The possibility does exist, exactly what is this infinity program though? Im not sure Im familiar with it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

http://service.msicomputer.com/html/popup/techsup/formviewer.asp?esoformid=2909

That's what it is, but I don't need that option, so I will disable it in the BIOS. Other than that, the computer seems to be working great for now.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:06 AM

aah ok, thats only for really large hard drives, trying to use it on smaller drives can cause issues. If you have any more propblems, feel free to ask.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users