Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My video pauses momentarily on all programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Windows XP SP3. I've had this laptop for over 6 years, and it's been reformatted a few times and this problem has never occurred before. The last reformat was months ago.

This is for videos already saved on my computer, no streaming involved.

You know how when you start a video file, it will begin to play and the frames will proceed smoothly? Now when I start a video it will begin for a fraction of a second, then pause for a fraction of a second, resume for another fraction, pause again for a fraction, then resume as normal. If I should seek, it will pause for a fraction of a second at the new seek time, then resume as normal. This happens on BSPlayer, WMP, and VLC (all the video playback programs I have). File format has no effect.

Also, it happens when the file loops and begins back at the start. I described 2 instances that always happen: at the start and when seeking. Whenever it starts, either when I first double click that video file, or when it reaches the end and does it's loop back at the start, it does the same start pause start pause resume normally.

I just ran antivirus, it found nothing. I ran some registry cleaners, didn't help. I uninstalled and reinstalled my video driver, nothing. Just defragged my harddrive, no difference.

EDIT: Just did some testing and apparently the animated gif file format is unaffected.

I wish I could show you a video, but Hypercam won't record from other video programs.

Edited by solaris32, 03 September 2011 - 06:51 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Brief buffering is normal. The only thing you could try is allow the video clip to load completely before playing it. Other than that, there are too many variables to pinpoint a specific reason for buffering.

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

This is for videos already saved on my computer, no streaming involved. Also, it happens across all video playback programs. What could cause this problem to happen on all of them?

Oh and you say it's normal, well this particular problem has never happened before.

And finally, it happens when the file loops and begins back at the start. I described 2 instances that always happen: at the start and when seeking. Whenever it starts, either when I first double click that video file, or when it reaches the end and does it's loop back at the start, it does the same start pause start pause resume normally.

Edited by solaris32, 03 September 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#4 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

I went ahead and reformatted my computer which fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone who helped me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users