Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window's Xp Home Edition..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mavourneen

mavourneen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:33 AM

Hi, I am having a problem on my computer, it was fine 2 days ago, until around the afternoon it suddenly got slow and then it wouldn't let me left click/right click on tabs, like File, view, edit..blah blah blah...or drop down menus...I can't delete files, or check files, or copy and paste either...It's taking over every program and some programs that I open, i'm not able to shut them down unless I shut down the entire computer, and The computer is also reading a network.exe error....that happened about a week ago? i'm not sure what thats about...But yeah, we can't left click or right click on any tabs...so it makes the computer pretty useless for anything in particular...If anyone has heard of this and knows what to do, please send me a reply. thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 *Desdinova*

*Desdinova*

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:15 AM

Hi mavourneen,

This might be the result of malware (worm, virus, trojan, ...)

First clean up the temporary files bij running windows disk cleanup

* Go to Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
* Choose your Windows-drive (usually C:\) (the scanning by disk cleanup can take a few minutes, don't think it hangs or something )
* Check the boxes in the list and delete the files (be sure there isn't anything in your recycle bin that you didn't want to delete after all..)
* Click yes/ok

Then run a virusscan:

Do you have an anti-virus program (NOD32, Norton, ...)?
* then scan with it, preferably in safe mode (first update the virusdefinitions, in normal mode)
How to boot in safe mode, xp (use the F8 method)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#winxo
Also run an online scan (see next)

If you do not have any anti virus software
* run at least one online virusscan, f.e.:
panda online scan
trendmicro
* and/or install one and scan with it, f.e
Avast (free)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-avast-antivirus/
NOD32 (trail)
http://www.eset.com/download/trial.htm
tutorial

Does this show/ clean up an infection / solve the problem ?

Good luck :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users