Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bill47

Bill47

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hi!

My system has been running very slow. I am unaware of anything I installed that may have created the problem. I updated and ran AVG, Spybot, Anti-Malware. Ran scandisk and defragmented. Used crapcleaner.

I am not getting any popups or odd messages. It is just very very slow no matter what I do. I get "not responding" a lot with firefox, but it eventually responds.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

Reboot into Safe Mode with networking (Press F8 repeatedly at startup until the safe mode selection screen appears) and see if the problem persists.

#3 Bill47

Bill47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

The problem does not persist in safe w/ net.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#5 tctw

tctw

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

I've had a similar problem, after installing Firefox 6.1 On checking via Process explorer (thanks BC) there is a new process in firefox: plugin-container.exe
This basically eats the cpu causing everything else to hang - including firefox. I switched to IE temporarily, and my speeds increased.
Hope this helps..

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

plugin-container is not unique to Firefox 6. It's been a component of FF or a long time and should not be an issue. The fact that the above user is having a problem with it should not be relevant to the original question.

#7 Bill47

Bill47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hi. The problem persists with those items unchecked.

#8 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

(uncheck all three items) and reboot.

There's actually 4 items....

Posted Image

Which 3 did you uncheck or did you uncheck all 4?

#9 Bill47

Bill47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

all 4

#10 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

Strange. Well my suggestion would be to do a fresh install and don't load down your computer with crap but I'm sure Allan will have you try other things. Just wait for him. :)

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

Okay, if the problem does not appear in safe mode but is present in regular mode with a selective startup I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum on this site and let them determine whether or not your system has a malware problem.

#12 Bill47

Bill47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

OK, thanks.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic417410.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users