Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Relation between Video and Running as Admin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PatientUser

PatientUser

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hello,

I have a curious problem: When loading certain games the full screen starts black, the proceeds to slow, vertical, psychedelic (but dull, without much colour) striations. The game continues to run normally in the background, but I can't see anything. This is not a blurring or hazing: no buttons, text etc are visible. The screen continues these colour transitions forever. I can Alt-Tab out and the computer continues to run. It seems to be strictly a display problem.

This occurs under two instances that I can reproduce: If run "Stronghold Crusader" normally, from a desktop icon, it plays without a hitch. However, if I run the program under Administrator the problem noted above starts. Unchecking "Run this program as an Administrator" under Properties > Compatability solves the problem. Crusader is an older game and normally running as an Administrator should solve problems with older games not create them.

This problem arises when trying to run "Red Orchestra 2" through the Steam interface. The Unreal Engine starts, but when the splash screen opens it goes directly to the problem noted above. I can hear the game running in the background. The splash screens rotate through as normal (I can hear them, but not see anything) and then proceeds to menu selection (which I can't see). This is a new game, in fact a Beta, but it works fine on my laptop without a hitch.

Since the problems are exactly the same, I'm trying to pinpoint the cause. So, my question is this: What exactly does running under Adminstrator do in relation to graphics? I'm not running Steam in compatability mode (not recommended) nor am I running it as an administrator. All my other games under Steam run without a hitch. I've run RO2 from the Desktop icon and from the Steam interface and neither work. I presume the Unreal engine is part of the problem. But it's the exact, and I mean exact, result as if running Crusader under Admin.

Specs: Windows Vista 32 bit; Service Pack 2
Intel E6600 2.4 GHz; Dual Core; 4 GB Ram DDR2
XFX Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT (512 MB Video Ram) with the latest drivers installed: 280.26

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

I'm in no way an expert. But I have heard of administrator privileges getting corrupt. See what happens if you run it as an admin using a different login name. You might also try removing your admin rights, then putting them back. Just guessing here.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#3 PatientUser

PatientUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

I'm in no way an expert. But I have heard of administrator privileges getting corrupt. See what happens if you run it as an admin using a different login name. You might also try removing your admin rights, then putting them back. Just guessing here.

Well thanks for replying at any rate. I will dig into it and see. I only have one working account on the computer so I would have to create another login. Not sure what you mean by "removing your admin rights". Do you mean for the application in question? If so I've tried that.

People may be scared off from answering by the fact they aren't familiar with the games, but what I'm looking for is the link between running an app under Admin and the graphics. It seems odd to me that I can replicate, at will, the problem I have with one program by running another with Admin rights. So, I'm hoping to pinpoint that relationship; is it paging? is it file location?

Here's something; when running with or without Admin rights the profiles for some apps change. For instance, of I sign into an app as 'PatientUser' one day and then run it as Admin another day, I have to create (or re-create) another profile. I'm kind of fuzzy on how Vista allocates public rights and admin rights to a program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users