Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Read Error - Seagate SATA 1TB Barracuda

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rutgur

Rutgur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Last year (May) I upgraded to a Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA HDD. PC normally runs full time (family machine), except for update reboots. Two mornings ago, when I swiped away the screen saver, the screen was black and there was a responsive mouse pointer. I did a cold reboot with the power button, and following the normal MoBo screen I was hit with a "disk read error - press Control+Alt+Delete to restart". I tried once with no success, then I tried to look at the BIOS set-up. I changed nothing, and the boot went to the WinXP-Pro splash screen (with the scrolling blue dots). It seemed like it was trying to start (the scrolling blue dots would slow and pause) but then it would start again. This repeated 3 or 4 times before I realized that it was not going to boot.

I have since, checked all of the power cables (all seem to supply power to the HDD) and I have changed the SATA cable from the MoBo to the HDD. None of these has changed the situation. I now get a boot-up screen that lets me chose between SAFE MODE, etc., etc. When I chose normal mode, the screen just hangs (the counter stops counting down). If I chose SAFE MODE, then I get a long list of (what appear to be) DOS commands of SYS files, then it hangs.

I still have my old WD 120GB IDE/ATAPI HDD that I upgraded from, so I installed it as the master (jumper set to "master", not "cable select") and replugged the Seagate HDD into a slave port on the MoBo. When I started, I went to the BIOS set-up to be sure that both HDDs were being detected and that they were configured properly (they are). After I exited BIOS, then result was the same as the previous description (hang in Normal, DOS commands & hang in SAFE).

I'm wondering if I have a bad MoBo, since the HDD change did not seem to work.

My current config is thus: WinXP-Pro SP3

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129163
Motherboad: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131547
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116213
Old HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144118
New HDD: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4682319
Video: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102653

While I realize that I may be limping along on this self-built machine: I'd really like to get my data back.

Note: I have not attempted a Windows Repair. But, knowing that I'm not booting from either HDD, is that a moot point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

Note:
I'm currently running a SeaTools for DOS diagnostic. I will post the log report once I have it.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:00 AM

I still have my old WD 120GB IDE/ATAPI HDD that I upgraded from, so I installed it as the master (jumper set to "master", not "cable select") and replugged the Seagate HDD into a slave port on the MoBo.

I think it very likely that the system is still trying to boot from the Seagate HDD.

Please disconnect the Seagate HDD entirely from the system and attempt to boot the computer from the old IDE HDD. Success?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

The results of the SeaTools (DOS) test, both short test and long test were: PASSED. (I uploaded an image file/photo taken with my phone - its the best I could do to post the report.)

I will attempt to boot from the older WD drive with the new Seagate drive completely disconnected and let you know what happens.

Attached Files

#5 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

The results of the boot with only the WD drive connected (BIOS detected it as the Primary IDE Master) were the same as above. I was given the option of SAFE MODE, etc., etc. I selected SAFE MODE and I saw a similar list of DOS commands calling up SYS files, followed by a hanging system.

So:
No boot on new Seagate HDD (passed all tests)
No boot on old WD HDD (did not test, admittedly, but this drive work perfectly when I upgraded to the Seagate HDD).

Since this does not seem to be a software or OS problem (can't get there), and my cables are all good; does this point to a MoBo problem?

I'm all ears...

#6 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Just for the sake of "no stone unturned", I removed the "coin battery" from the MoBo and checked it for voltage with a multimeter. The result is a battery that appears to be dead (no voltage at any setting, no current, 100% continuity).

Is there special version of this battery that is best for MoBos (kinda like the special AA & AAA batteries for digital cameras), or will an ordinary lithium watch battery of the appropriate size be OK?

#7 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

After I put the old CMOS battery back in the MoBo, I tried a reboot using the old WD HDD only (had to reset the time & date in the BIOS).

I selected SAFE MODE and after a lengthy hang, I have boot up.

I'm going to swap back to the new Seagate HDD and try the same.

#8 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

I now have SAFE MODE boot up with the new Seagate HHD.

I will next attemp a NORMAL MODE boot up with the new Seagate HHD.

#9 Rutgur

Rutgur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

The system has returned to completely normal. As if nothing ever happened. Was the CMOS "battery pull" the solution? Cripes, I have intermittent problems.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

will an ordinary lithium watch battery of the appropriate size be OK?

Yes, that is what it is: An ordinary watch battery. Replace the CMOS battery with one of the same type/size. Refer to the number on the battery itself.

Do that before doing anything else, as it is most likely the cause of your problem.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

FWIW: CR 2032 is the designation for most CMOS batteries used in desktops.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users