Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely slow startup.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slickie

slickie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hello everyone. This is my first post here but I've surfed the site for years.

I used to have Windows Vista 64-bit. I recently reformatted and upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit.

My startup times are atrocious. Sometimes I'm left sitting on the Starting Windows screen for 5 minutes, occasionally as bad as 7 or 8 minutes.

I used Event Viewer to track down what's slowing me down and found that, from the very first boot of Windows 7, ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0 is often adding 5+ minutes to my startup time.

Its "friendly name" is Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System.

I have no idea what it is or how I can remove it or fix it or do anything with it, really.

My Event Viewer shows a few other programs slowing down my startup but combined they only add maybe 15 seconds to my startup.

ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0 dwarfs them all in terms of how much they slow me down.

If anyone can help or needs further information from me, please respond. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Have you updated the drivers for your machine? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 slickie

slickie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

Yes, all my drivers are up to date and I've downloaded every Windows Update there is, even the optional language packs! There's nothing else I can get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users