Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning to replace HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hello guys!

I recently got a 500GB 7200RPM HDD and I am planning to replace my crappy Western Blue 250GB 5400RPM HDD. My actual HDD is full, and I want to transfer ALL his data on my new HDD.

Now I want to know...

1. What is the easiest/fastest way to do it.

2. How to do it (short tutorial)

3. Will I get ALL the data that I previously had?

All tips are welcome! ;)

Thank you very much!

Alpha4345

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

paid: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/page.html

free: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:10 AM

If you are using at least one of either Seagate or Western Digital branded HDDs in the system, you can take advantage of the free version of Acronis' imaging and cloning software provided by each of those manufacturers. The Acronis software can be run either from within Windows or from a bootable CD, which can be created once the utility is installed on a Windows system (and it is a wise to create this CD immediately). The bootable CD will be needed if ever the Windows system is not accessible.

Seagate: DiscWizard

Western Digital: Acronis True Image WD Edition

The quickest and easiest way ... is to clone the whole hard drive to the new hard drive, using "Automatic" selection rather than the "Manual" selection when prompted. Everything will be exactly as it was, except the once-too-small partition(s) will now occupy (and have available) the whole new HDD.

You will find all the information you are likely to need at the websites where you download the above-mentioned tools.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

I finally decided to use the free macrium reflect software because people says that it is the better free software for system imaging on the web...

So I made a system image and a Linux-based boot disk in order to deploy my new system image into my new drive. The image has been deployed successfuly, so I rebooted my PC as suggested by Free Macrium. I clicked "ok", and it rebooted.

I was like: "yay! its over!" until I saw an error message:

"bootmgr is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart windows 7"

I searched google for it, and the recommended way to solve the problem was to insert the Windows 7 CD and choose the repair option.

Here comes the real problem: I do not have any Windows 7 CD because my laptop is in fact a netbook! I have an external CD-Drive but no Windows 7 CD...

Now, I don't really know what to do... If it helps, my Windows version is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

Need some help over here!

EDIT: SCREW ALL THAT GUYS I ALREADY FOUND A WAY TO GET THE BOOTMGR ALL IS FINE NOW.

BTW, thank you very much for helping!

Alpha4345 ;)

Edited by alpha4345, 04 September 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Pleased to see all is well now. Thank you for letting us know.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

Hi alpha. I'd really appreciate if you could tell me how you got the BOOTMGR working. I have just done something similar to you did - I've cloned my C:\ Drive onto a new SSD and am getting the BOOTMGR is missing error when I try to boot to the system that has been restored to the new drive. Please tell us how you fixed the problem. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users