Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Disc, Recovery Disc, Frisbee Disc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

Working on a spiffy e-machine with Windows Vista Home Basic that runs pretty well.

After reading multiple posts where the advice usually begins with suggesting a 'boot disc' or a 'recovery disc', I guess what I'm looking to find out is:

1) what is the difference between a boot disc and a recovery disc?

2) How do I go about making one on this machine (or if I even can)? << I did read through Grinler's tutorials regarding System Restore points and all that seems to in good order. But I guess I'm not sure on the relationship between that and my post (or if there even is one).

3) a best practice regarding these type of discs

I don't have any pressing issues at this time, but I also don't want to wait until I do.

Everything I've learned here at BC has been so great & helpful, I would like to stay on that path, so any links/apps/ideas/suggestions and/or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

1) what is the difference between a boot disc and a recovery disc?

Boot disk vs recovery disk. Let me see if I can phrase that in a way that makes some sense.

A recovery disc is a generic term for the disk or media containing a backup of the original factory condition or a specified condition of a computer as configured by the original equipment manufacturer or an end-user. OEM supplied recovery media is sometimes shipped with some computers to allow the user to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system and pre-loaded software as it was when it was shipped. This is not as common a practice today as it was in the past. I won't confuse the issue, but google recovery partition for more information.

A boot disk is a removable data storage medium, i.e. DVD or flash drive from which a computer can load and run 'boot' an operating system or utility program. The computer must have an installed program or application which will load and execute a program or application from the boot disk. This will enable you to boot an otherwise unusable machine to be able to troubleshoot the OS or non-working application as necessary.

Hope that gives you a better idea of the difference.

As to how to create a boot disk? I will let more knowledgeable staff or members assist you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

I believe most, if not all, eMachine systems...specifically tell the purchaser to create disks when first using the system.

What's the eMachine system model?

Louis

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

Animal, thank you.

Googled 'recovery partition' and it's starting now to make more sense.

I'm so new to all of this, it didn't even occur to me that a boot disk doesn't necessarily mean an actual disc (CD/DVD).

I guess it probably seems small to most of the BC community, but that new way of 'seeing' something has been one of the great hallmarks of this place for me.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Louis: eMachine model ET1810.

I inherited it from my father-in-law, so I didn't receive any prompts as it had already been used for well over a year before I started using it.

As I noted in my original post, I'm just trying to learn what this all means, and also to be proactive with regards to having these type of system tools in the event of a failure, which I don't anticipate anytime soon, but then again, who does? :whistle:

Onward,

Winterland

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

You're quite welcome regarding the information, was my pleasure. Thank you for the kind words about the site. That is one of the things we work towards doing for our members.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

Louis, good morning.

Found this surfing around the Internet, does it seem like the right advice/direction?

Click Start, then All Programs.

Click the eMachines link, then select eMachines Recovery Management to launch the application.

Click on the Create Factory Default Disk.

The backup disk program will then tell you how many disks it will take to make a complete set of recovery disks. Make sure you have everything you need before you proceed.
Insert the first blank disk and then click Start.

The eMachines Recovery Management program will begin creating your disks.

I also found the eMachines Recovery Management on my machine with the options:

1) Create Factory Default Disc

2) Create Driver and application backup disc

Is this what you were referring to?

And, in your opinion, the wise move?

Thanks for your time and help.

Winterland

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

Although I have a little familiarity with some eMachines systems...I can't tell you much about the ET1810 system. There doesn't seem to be much a manual available and the support site only lists a few drivers.

I did find the following support page, http://support.gateway.com/s/software/MICROSOF/vista/7515506/7515506su2.shtml , which I believe applies to your system.

A copy of the User Guide appears to be downloadable at http://www.retrevo.com/search/v2/jsp/mytrevo/myTrevo.jsp?page=man . I am not recommending such, just pointing it out to you, since it may contain more pertinent info on your system.

Louis

#8 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:16 AM

Louis, thanks for the links, bookmarked and downloaded accordingly.

I'm going to go ahead a fuss around with that Recovery Management and see if I get what I want or if I can break something.

Keep a lookout for my latest post. :lol:

Be well gentlemen, see you in the Forums.

Winterland

#9 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

Well, the wife and I needed some new coasters for the side porch anyway, now that the weather's getting nicer here in the Commonwealth.

*sigh*

This doesn't really need a reply from anyone, but I did want to let everyone here at BC know about my attempts/issues with the eMachines Recovery Management and my attempts to create a Recovery Disc.

I attempted to burn to a couple of DVD+R's since the app told me it would only require two of them, as opposed to 10 CD's.

First disc burned without any issues and verified but the 2nd disc kept coming up with a Error Code 203.

After doing a little surfing, it appears, according to the Microsoft website:

"You are attempting to use eMachines Recovery Management Process.

It is not part of Microsoft Vista software.
Contact eMachines Support at the above link for help with their Recovery Management Process."

OK, I can handle that, I thought, which lead me to both an Acer Support page, as well as an eMachines Support page, both of which indicated that "Error code 203 may occur when creating 2nd or 3rd disk with eRecovery" and then went on to suggest that I "Download and unzip the file CleanInvalidPatch.zip. Run the program CleanInvalidPatch.exe" which I then did.

Guess what? :whistle: Another set of coasters.

So as it stands now, I'm still without a set of Recovery Discs.

One possibility seems to be that a set of discs were already created and the app will not allow another set to be created - although I'm not sure why there wouldn't be an inform if that were the case.

The second possibility is that I need a new computer.

So there you go.

I'm going to keep sleuthing (there are quite a few posts out there regarding this issue but no clear answers) but if there is anyone out there that has had success performing this task, I would LOVE to find the resolve and/or a workaround.

#10 avidgamr

avidgamr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

I found a solution to this for anyone that is computer efficient (computer technician that is-get a family or friend who is a computer nerd if you need to).

*IF* the computer will still boot into Windows (Windows booting normally that is, *not* safe mode) and if the restore partition and related are intact then this should work for you as well (worked for me).

The story- I was working on a friend's emachines ET1810-03 (replaced bad power supply) and it wouldn't allow me to create the recovery discs as she had been using the computer for years and had never created the discs (does any one ever create those?! LOL) and was giving me the dreaded error code 203 on the last disc.

I tried the patch by emachines (or Acer or whomever it was that made it); still same failure. So I had to start thinking outside the box as

she wanted to keep the pics, emails, and everything else on it, so I decided to make a last ditch effort to make those discs again. My procedure:

Get an equal or larger size hard drive to use temporarily (hers came with a 320GB HD and I used a spare Maxtor 500GB HD I had for a temp) and another cable- likely a SATA cable will be needed but can be an 80 pin PATA cable. Check your system to see what you need!

I shut down the computer, unplugged it and pressed the power button to drain the system of remaining power, then removed the side cover.

Next I plugged in the spare SATA cable I had into an empty SATA connector on the motherboard (next one in line), then plugged the other end into my temp Maxtor HD. Then of course connected a power cable to the Maxtor HD.

Turned the power back on, pressed F12 to get the boot menu, and chose the DVD drive (after inserting Clonezilla live version 20121217-quantal CD) and allowed that to boot. I chose what was specific to me (I used the Expert mode but Beginner should work):

Device-Device,Disk to local disk, chose her original 320GB HD for the source and my 500GB as the target (VERY important-make ABSOLUTELY SURE you choose the original hard drive as the source and the new temp hard drive as the target or you will erase EVERYTHING on your computer! Two different hard drive sizes help with this-320GB source and 500GB temp), create partition table proportionally (Expert setting I believe), yes to clone the bootloader.

After it was finished cloning, turned the computer off, pulled the plug again and drained the residual power (by pressing the power button), disconnected both hard drives, then re-connected my 500GB as the only hard drive (using the original data & power connectors from her original hard drive), and booted it up.

Windows did some repairs (not sure if was related to a new hard drive or the fact that their computer also had a power supply failure-which was why I was working on it, and had corrupted Windows some from the power going off while the computer was on.)

Anyways, after a while, the computer finally started up and looked the same as her hard drive- pics and everything. I then did a factory restore (Start > All Programs > eMachines > eMachines Recovery Management) and chose Recovery. (It didn't matter that everything was getting wiped as it was my clone and not her hard drive)

After successful factory restore it then happily allowed me to create the discs with the fresh factory install!

When I was finished making the discs, I turned off the computer, pulled the plug, drained the system again (press the power button) and disconnected my hard drive and reconnected hers again. Put the cover back on and I'm finished!

Hope that helps someone...

#11 avidgamr

avidgamr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

Forgot to give as link to Clonezilla, in case anybody needs it. I would recommend burning it to a CD

https://sourceforge.net/projects/clonezilla/files/clonezilla_live_alternative/OldFiles/20121217-quantal/clonezilla-live-20121217-quantal.iso/download

but if you don't happen to have a spare SATA or PATA connector on your motherboard to connect another hard drive, you can always take the more difficult route and make a bootable USB flash drive then you can temporarily disconnect your internal DVD/CD-ROM drive and connect to that cable.

http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php#windows-setup

As they say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat" or "where there's a will there's a way". :grinner:  

Oh, and another thing, there is a newer version but that's just the one I've always used and I am just used to it (and so far it works well for me),

Edited by avidgamr, 04 June 2016 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users