Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Windows XP Screen and Siren Sound

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Victor43

Victor43

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

Hello.

I was just wondering if anyone has run into the same strange siren sound when booting up Windows XP...It seems to happen right when Windows XP takes over right after the POST. I have included two links to the YouTube site which should help me describe the two strange issues. Please note that I have tried two different video cards and the same issue seems to occur.

Nevertheless if anyone has any thoughts as to what is actually happening when this siren sounds off I would welcome any ideas and by the way the siren sound keeps on going and stops only when the PC is powered off from the switch on the back of the Power Supply or holding down the Power ON button.

Appreciate all replies and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Best Wishes

Victor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

Sounds to me like your hard drive is dead based upon the boot screen because your network card is trying to boot from a network device.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

System manufacturer and model?

FWIW: A bad CMOS battery will also cause the system to try to do a network boot, even though the hard drive is recognized. That could explain the screen. A simple test is to go into the BIOS...reset the boot options to hard drive first...then reboot. If you cannot change the boot options or you get the same

A siren sound is not typical but...you need to check yuur system documentation to see what such might indicate. If I heard such, I would suspect overheating of the system. Come to think of it...I did once hear something similar on a system where the CPU fan had failed.

Louis

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Come to think of it...I did once hear something similar on a system where the CPU fan had failed.

Thank you very much, Louis.

You have nailed it right there ... and jogged my memory! Exactly: I have heard that siren before, too.

Well done!
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Victor43

Victor43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:30 AM

FWIW: A bad CMOS battery will also cause the system to try to do a network boot, even though the hard drive is recognized. That could explain the screen. A simple test is to go into the BIOS...reset the boot options to hard drive first...then reboot. If you cannot change the boot options or you get the same

A siren sound is not typical but...you need to check yuur system documentation to see what such might indicate. If I heard such, I would suspect overheating of the system. Come to think of it...I did once hear something similar on a system where the CPU fan had failed.

Louis

Sorry for not adding the system specs. They are Asus P4B533 v1.04 w/P4 2.53 GHZ (running stock) w/350W Sparkle Power Supply w/ATI Radeon 64MB DDR AGP Video, 2 x 1GB PC2700 RAM. Took all other PCI cards out and with no hard drives or CD/DVD drives connected.

The BIOS settings should be fine including the configuration stored in the CMOS since I have not seen the checksum error on startup. I did have one questions for you experts and that is if the CPU is overheating then is it the CPU itself that commands the shutdown or is it the work of another chip or sensor ? Can anyone answer that please ? BYW I did reset the CPU with the HSF with new thermal.

Thanks for the help.

Victor

#6 Victor43

Victor43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:32 AM

Sounds to me like your hard drive is dead based upon the boot screen because your network card is trying to boot from a network device.

Sorry but I did not mention that I was not connecting any HD, DVD, or PCI cards in the system in order to isolate the source of the problem. I did check the CPU as I have described in the below post.

Thanks for the reply

Victor.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

I believe that the sensor would cause the computer to reboot.

#8 Victor43

Victor43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. The hard drive is running fine. The problem seems to have gone away for the meantime after reseating the CPU and applying new thermal paste. I don't know about the interesting screen of Windows XP but that issue has not reappeared at the moment. The system specifications are Asus P4B533 w/Intel P4 2.53GHz 400MHz FSB CPU w/2GB PC2700 RAM Kingston, 350W PSU Sparkle.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again

Victor

#9 Victor43

Victor43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

Louis

Thanks for the reply. I did not try replacing the CMOS battery just yet since both issues have gone away. I will give it a try the next time the same issues reappear. Yes your right about the fan speed and the CPU temperature can both signal off the alarm which I believe its the BIOS sounds off.

Appreciate the help.

Victor.

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:30 AM

I think this was Overheat Sirens.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy: