Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete C:\Recycler Folder Contents

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fit155

fit155

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

I'm running Windows XP Home Version 2002 SP3

I can't delete the contents of my C:\Recycler folder, which is just one file.

I've gone into the folder properties and unchecked the Read Only box and selected to make all subfolders and files read only. When I delete the file a dialog box appears that says: Cannot delete <file name>: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

No other programs are running and there should be just one other user set up on the machine. (More about that below.) When I go back to double-check the read-only setting, it's enabled again.

I rebooted my machine and tried again, and got the exact same behavior.

I then rebooted in safe mode to try to delete the file. When I accessed the Recycler folder there were now two files in the folder, with a timestamp a few minutes apart. I was able to delete one of the files, but when I tried to delete the second file I got the same error message.

I then opened a DOS prompt to see if I could delete the file that way. But when I did a dir on the folder the following appeared:

Volume C has no label.
Volume serial number is <serial number>

Directory of C:\Recycler

File Not Found

What was interesting about going into Safe Mode was that it showed slightly different users. In regular mode I have two users set up, my user and a guest user. But when I went into Safe mode it showed an Administrator user and my user, but no guest user. I was performing the actions I described logged in as the Administrator.

I exited out of Safe mode and logged back in normally. When I accessed the C:\recycler folder, I attempted to deleted the file again and I saw Windows make a copy of the file;it deleted the file I selected and immediately made a copy, which I can't delete.

I appreciate anyone's thoughts and suggestions about how to delete this file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:43 AM

Give this a Try: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229041
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 fit155

fit155
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the link, but the system is still saying "File Not Found".

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

Can you right click the file and restore to it's original location?

You can try this batch file...
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\RECYCLER attrib -s -r -h %%i\RECYCLER
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\RECYCLER rd /s /q %%i\RECYCLER

Edited by .X., 03 September 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#5 vienngtr

vienngtr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:53 AM

"Com4" is a reserved name under Windows. You can deal with the problem like so:

1. Open a Command Prompt.
  2. Type the following command and press Enter:
    rd  /s  /q  \\.\H:\Seven\S-1-5-21-842925246-2025429265-682008880-1013\com4

This is generated after installing WinMend Hide Folder, a freeware.

You can see a folder like [WinMend~Hide~Folder\...\...\cn] something.

You can click on that to rename (to 123, for example) to shorten the command afterwards. And the command can be

rd  /s  /q  \\.\x:\123\     {without deeper folder path}

press F3 key and back-arrow to change x to specific drive letter each.

link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/cannot-delete-folder/a39602c1-6f72-40e3-846a-a68b9c6549c1?db=5&tab=question&status=AllReplies&rtAction=1450002883338#tabs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users