Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installation Error # 1001

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JulianAS

JulianAS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hello BleepingComputer, I am having a difficult time tracking down the cause of the failure of a program to re-install. the program is Wikitup dictionary. Previously, I have had problems with this program in the form of it not starting correctly; it uninstalls only with
difficulty. The problem now, however, is different. I am now receiving the following error message: Error 1001-On/AfterInstall event
handler of wikilon.installerHelper-value cannot be null> Parameter name: xml. I thought that the problem may be with Windows installer but I have been able to install other programs without any problems. The announcement of "value cannot be null" seems as though something
was changed somewhere; if it was, it was not by me as I would not know a line of computer code if it was in front of me. I've tried a restore point, tried retrieving the app from my back-up, tried downloading it from other (third-party) sites all to no avail. This program
works very well when it works and I consider it one of the best at what it does so giving up on it is not worth considering. I have had to
perform a complete system restore (wipe) of my computer in times past, and when I re-installed this app it always operates properly; it's
only when I have had to un-install and re-install it that this problem occurs. It's as though the program leaves some sort of marker on
my machine after an un-install that gets in the way of it's re-installation. Note-I have thought of the possibility of a "stuck" register
fragment and I have used two different register cleaners but the problem persists. Please help me find the solution and thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2011 - 10:17 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

If your problem is with an uninstalled program leaving remnants behind, I suggest you use Revo Uninstaller to completely uninstall it. A lot of us use it. It's very useful. It does what Add/Remove Programs won't do.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users