Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Boot loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xer 21

xer 21

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Im Getting an infinite bootloop. a friend had this problem with a motherboard from the same manufacturer, so im worried its that.

Im not at home by the way, so if you give me any advice, it will be quite a while before i can check it.

so, this morning i turned my computer on (well, it was asleep) and it ran fine for about 5 minutes. then, i got up to get some water, came back, and it was frozen. nothing would shake it out of the freeze, so i manually restarted and turned it back on.

well, everything spun up, but before the bios screen even came on, i got what sounded like a grinding noise that i've never had on this board before (kinda like the startup noise, if you know what im talking about, but much louder and longer). then, it powered off. and powered on again by itself. and powered off again. and this loop continued until i cut the power on the power supply.

i had to leave for school, so i didnt get a chance to see if it posted any codes. i called MSI support, and they told me to check the RAM and the hard drive.

i havent done it yet, and havent ruled out the possibility, but im fairly sure it isnt the hard drive as the bios doesnt even post on screen before it restarts.

i didnt touch anything, the ram hasnt left the slots in months, and the whole thing's been working flawlessly for a few days since i transplanted everything into my case.

what i am a little worried about though, is that my CPU was running abnormally hot last night, hitting 71 degrees while playing AC brotherhood. its never breached 70 before, and its all stock speeds.

also wondering if resetting the bios might help.

So, any ideas what could be wrong here?

SPECS:
MSI Z68MA ED55 motherboard
I7 2600k at stock clocks
8 GB G. Skill Ripjaws x RAM at 1600
a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
an EVGA GTX 560 ti

i have not gotten an opportunity to see if i get any error codes or anything yet. i have found out the grinding noise is likely from the hard drive from others on another forum, but im not sure thats the issue, as i cant even get to the BIOS screen.

other topic Here for reference.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7502761.page

Edited by xer 21, 02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I believe it is time for you to open your computer case and closely check all your cooling fans for dust, noises can be created when the fan blades hit dust clogs.

You will most likely find dust built up in the heat sink of your processor.

I suggest you get a can of compressed air and blow out your computer case.

The noise could also be coming from the hard drive, try doing a closer inspection when booting up the computer for where the noise is coming from.

If it is your hard drive, your hard drive has failed.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 September 2011 - 04:48 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I believe it is time for you to open your computer case and closely check all your cooling fans for dust, noises can be created when the fan blades hit dust clogs.

You will most likely find dust built up in the heat sink of your processor.

I suggest you get a can of compressed air and blow out your computer case.

The noise could also be coming from the hard drive, try doing a closer inspection when booting up the computer for where the noise is coming from.

If it is your hard drive, your hard drive has failed.

Bruce.

ok, im almost home so i can check soon. i do know its not the case fans. there is no dust. the case and all case fans in it are 3 days old. the heat sink was also clean when i transplanted all the parts.

so i guess it must be the Hard drive.

however, since i cannot even get my motherboard to POST or get to the bios, do you think that the hard drive is the cause of that, or could the motherboard be shot too?

i do not have any extra parts aside from my video card to test with.

#4 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

So, just got home.

And its not the hard drive. it might not even be anything. i dont know yet. what i do know is that it started up when i turned it on, i had no boot loop, and it just notified me that "The CPU or memory has been changed" and i selected default values.

and im detecting all 8 gb of memory.

so hopefully this was just a fluke. but i will keep monitoring it to see if anything else occurs.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

Flukes can be the result of a loose connection, something that looks secure, but isn't.

Make sure all the connectors pushed in as far as they will go, trust me when I say tight fitting plugs may not be pushed in as far they should be, or they may be slightly angled in the socket created a intermittent connection.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users