Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition for Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

For some weird reason, I can't partition my C drive for Ubuntu. It gives me the option to, but it won't allow me to. It's weird because it allows me to partition my D (recovery) drive, but not my main drive.

Here's what I mean by it doesn't allow me to on the C Drive, but it allows me to on the D Drive.

C Drive (about 60 (58.2) GB free):
Posted Image

D Drive (about 2 (1.83) GB free):
Posted Image

The reason I want to do this is because right now as it is, I have Ubuntu running as a program in Windows Vista. This means I'm screwed royally if I'm unable to access my main drive for whatever reason. I also want a more "permanent" installation without the risk of overwriting my current OS.

Edited by Shade the Wolf, 02 September 2011 - 02:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

It won't let you shrink C: because it is currently in use. You could use EaseUS Partition Master, which will allow you to shrink the partition (it will reboot the computer so it can do so).

You should also be able to shrink the partition from the Ubuntu install media during installation, as well by running GParted during the live session.

Obviously, you should back up your data if possible, as messing with the partitions can be dangerous.

Edited by MadDawg, 02 September 2011 - 04:02 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Thanks. I'll see about getting an external first before partitioning, then. Thanks for the help MadDawg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users