Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Installing New Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snooks

snooks

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

I think I posted this in the wrong forum before. Let me try again.

I bought a new graphics card today. GeForce FX 5500 256MB AGP. I tried installing it. I installed the card(in the correct slot), turned on the computer, went into BIOS and clicked on the option "Integrated Devices(Legacy Select Options) and changed it from "Auto" to "AGP"(disabling the onboard Intel integrated Graphics). Saved it and continued with rebooting. Did what the directions said installing software, etc, no error messages, nothing. I checked in the DxDiag.exe and under Display--Device--name, manufacturer,chip type, etc....there was nothing. It seemed like the card wasn't there. I looked for AGP driver downloads, I couldn't find anything. Spoke with Dell, looked at Intel's website. I finally, uninstalled the card, removed it and basically reversed everything I did. (then I checked the DxDiag.exe again and Intel integrated Graphics was back under Display--devices...) Now I am back where I started. I don't know what to do. I hope that all made sense. Obviously I am new at this level.
I have a Dimension 4600, Windows XP, Pentium 4
I would welcome any advice or thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

Did you even test the card to make sure that it worked? I mean taking it out because it didnt list in dxdiag is a overreaction. I think what happened is the drivers werent installed, so the card wasnt identified until after the next reboot. Boot back into windows with the card installed, install the drivers. Reboot, then go back into dx diag, and press f5. After you press f5, go back into display and see if it identifies itself.

IF you stillc ant see the card, but it functions properly. See if it can see itself in device manager, or in the properties menu. Right click > Properties > display. Then see.

#3 snooks

snooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

I actually did try it out. I tried to play the Star Wars Lego game and I got a message saying that my graphics card doesn't support pixel shader 1.1. But the new card does. I did reboot, a few times. I am going to try to install it again. I downloaded an new driver for the integrated graphics card (which I don't think will matter), that was what Dell suggested.

#4 Aviator

Aviator

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:29 AM

Suggest you look at the Dell Community Forum>Video. There are alot of good video gurus there that will help with your problem. I would suggest you download DriverCleanerPro to get rid of the old drivers before installing the new card. Links are provided on the video forum.

Dell Dimension 8200 2.4ghz
BFG 5700 LE AGP card

Dell Dimension 4550 2.66 ghz
Evga 6800 128mb AGP

http://forums.us.dell.com/

#5 snooks

snooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:20 AM

Well, it is working now. I actually called thew guy at Circuit City and he helped me out over the phone. All I needed was to download a new driver from Nvidia. Install that instead of the disc that came with the card. Really simple. Thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

Since you got a new video card, and got it working - I'd suggest that you disable the onboard graphics adaptor.

Disabling it in the BIOS is the best way - but you can also disable it in Device Manager (just make sure that you don't disable your new card!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users