Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD for PS3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sandaz93

sandaz93

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:21 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147127&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Solid+State+Disk-_-SAMSUNG-_-20147127

Could I install this SSD in my PS3? I currently have the slim PS3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 astrosiphic

astrosiphic

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

edit: Maybe find an SSD that is known to work with a PS3?

Edited by astrosiphic, 04 September 2011 - 03:54 PM.

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

You don't need a SSD for PS3. Why would you want one? It would REALLY be reducing your storage size.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

If you are going for speed and losing storage capacity the SSD will be wasted as PS3 can only accept 5400rpm transfer speeds. My son replaced his 80GB OEM with a 300GB 7200rpm drive and it didn't change PS3 speeds at all. Upon more investigation it was uncovered PS3 does not work any faster with a speedier hard drive. Stick with 5400 rpm and go for storage size.

The preceding is all based on knowledge garnered a year ago. The firmware might have been upgraded since and rpm speed can be utilized now.

In other words....YMMV.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 sandaz93

sandaz93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

Thanks Guys I'll probably wait it out.

#6 MikeyDSlagle

MikeyDSlagle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:45 AM

speed tests

another test

Those are two sites with tests showing the performance boost of using SSD. The newer test with newer equipment is an improvement over the older one. Using that logic, current SSDs should perform better still. There are a multitude of sites out there showing test speeds.

I know two people who installed SSDs in their PS3s. One said the loads were instantaneous (kinda hard to believe) the other said the decrease in load times were noticeable.

I'm about to upgrade mine, especially if Mass Effect 3 loads as slow as Mass Effect 2!! I got the old fat boy PS3 with the 80 gig, so I wont be losing storage capacity.

I dont know why anyone would need mass amounts of storage on the PS3. How often are you going to go back and play all those games installed on there and demos cant be that fun to play over and over. When your done, uninstall. Plus its got built-in WiFi, so for movies and songs, just stream from your PC. I've run out of space on my PS3 once since I bought it back... whenever. Freed up space and havent had to since. You can always back up to an external HDD if all the stuff means that much to you.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

What is the point in an SSD for the PS3? It is a media device that can hold games and movies, capacity is much more important than speed IMO. Given how media content is stored on the device, and how long it takes to download HD movies and TV shows, simply removing that content can be a pain if you go back and rewatch items.

BTW, I upgraded my launch 60GB drive to a 320GB and still have quite a bit of space, but backing up is a pain since everything gets paired to the unit and copied during a backup. I wonder if Video Unlimited will eventually allow streaming of content we have purchased from the PSN video store.

3939.png

#8 MikeyDSlagle

MikeyDSlagle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

I live in a world where true broadband is not available. (Hughesnet is not true broadband) So I cant download media like you mention. But I see your point.

I use mine primarily for gaming and sometimes stream videos and music from my PC. From a gaming point of view, SSD has its benefits.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Usually, once the content has been written to memory, the hard drive becomes a non-issue, at least that is how games work on the PC. If you don't have a fast connection yet still want HD video, a large drive can be a real time saver. Just sign on to the PSN, buy a video/game/DLC, set it to background downloading, then turn off the PS3 using the XMB so you get the option to shut down after downloading. That situation is great if you're going to be gone for days.

3939.png

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

@ DJBPace, Hughesnet, and data cards like I use are not a good source of internet for gaming at all. Best speeds for 3G cards and satellite are usually around 700Kbps, I've gotten my 3G card up to 1.5Mbps if I get everything (including weather) just right. The big killer though is that bandwidth is capped with over zealous fees or drastic slowdowns if you go over the daily/weekly/monthly limits for instance I had to wait until the second week of the month to buy Oblivion via Steam for PC because between updating Portal2 and Obilvion I well exceeded my 5Gb a month limit which resulted in me having to navigate the web at AOL speeds for the remainder of the billing cycle (thankfully it lands on the 13th). So no downloads, online multiplayer, or streaming which is leaving a lot of gamers out in the cold.

I have a 250GB in my Xbox and it's full I install everything to the harddrive and i have a small music library on there too. SSD might decrease load times but it's not going to be anything drastic, it's still going to be limited to SATA II speeds (3Gb/s).

Posted Image

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Regardless of whichever hard drive you use with the PS3, if you buy video content from the PlayStation Store, it is largely paired to that specific console. You are only allowed to download it once and you can only use it with one console and one PSP. This means that if the drive were to fail before you de-authorize it, which can only be done on the console, all of your purchased video content is hosed. You can back it up, but you cannot deauthorize a PS3 console remotely.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users